What Are My Options if I'm Injured While Visiting Chicago, IL?

Chicago, Illinois attracts millions of tourists each year. As in any major city, accidents can happen to tourists away from home. Car accidents, slips and falls, and other incidents can lead to costly injuries and other damages. 

If you or a loved one have been injured as a tourist in Chicago, you may be able to pursue a claim for compensation if someone else was responsible. This blog post will explain your legal options if you’re injured as a tourist in Chicago, IL.

Steps To Take if You’re a Tourist and Get Injured in Chicago

The actions you take after an injury as a tourist in Chicago can directly impact your health and legal rights if someone else is responsible. If you or a loved one have been injured as a tourist, be sure to do the following:

  • Seek medical attention: Your health is the top priority. Visit a Chicago hospital or urgent care facility for a medical evaluation and treatment.
  • Report the incident: Call 911 or report the incident to management at the place where your injury occurred.
  • Document everything: Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries. Gather contact information of any witnesses and copies of any accident reports.
  • Keep records: Maintain copies of all your medical reports, receipts, and other documents related to your injury.

From there, contact a Chicago personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. A local lawyer can guide you through the legal process and help protect your rights if you are injured away from home.

Why Should I Hire a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer if I’m an Injured Tourist?

Tourists often feel overwhelmed being injured away from home. If you or a loved one have been injured, a Chicago personal injury lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. From initial consultation to settlement or trial, a local Chicago attorney can offer help with:

Our personal injury lawyers are licensed to practice law across Illinois.

What Damages Could I Receive if I’m Injured in Chicago as a Tourist?

You may be entitled to various types of compensation as a tourist injured in Chicago, including economic and non-economic damages. These include:

  • Medical expenses: Compensation for medical treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, and rehabilitation in the present and future.
  • Lost wages and diminished earning capacity: Compensation for the income lost due to the injury or a reduced ability to work.
  • Pain and suffering: Monetary compensation for physical pain and suffering or emotional distress from your injury.
  • Loss of enjoyment: Compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life and inability to participate in activities you once enjoyed.

You may have medical bills and expenses while in Chicago and after you return home. A personal injury attorney can help value all your potential damages.

Worried You’re Partly Responsible for Your Injury as a Tourist in Chicago?

You may be partly responsible for your injury. If you are injured as a tourist in Chicago and found to be partly responsible, you might still recover compensation under Illinois’ modified comparative fault rule. This rule allows you to recover damages if you are not more than 50 percent at fault. 

However, your compensation will be reduced by your share of fault for the accident. Comparative fault can directly impact the value of your claim, so it is important to speak with an attorney if you have reason to believe you may be partly responsible. 

Read more if you wish to know what are your options if you have been injured in any of the top spots in Chicago, IL:

Schedule a Free Consultation With a Personal Injury Lawyer in Chicago

If you have been injured as a tourist in Chicago, you do not have to wait until you get home to seek help. Schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer to discuss your case and rights as an injured tourist.

Contact the Chicago Personal Injury Law Firm of Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys for Help Today

For more information, please contact the experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys today. We offer free consultations.

We proudly serve Cook County, Will County, Kendall County, and its surrounding areas:

Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys – Chicago Office
10 S La Salle St STE 1230, Chicago, IL 60603
(312) 726-1616

Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys – Joliet Office
195 Springfield Ave, Joliet, IL 60435
(815) 726-1616