Did you get hurt in a motorcycle accident in Chicago, Illinois? If so, it’s possible you have a legal claim against the at-fault party. An experienced Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer with Zayed Law Offices can help you obtain compensation for your medical expenses, property damage, pain and suffering, and more.
We’re a trusted personal injury law firm in The Windy City that has been helping accident victims since 2009. Our Chicago personal injury attorneys have decades of combined experience, and we’ve secured tens of millions of dollars for our clients since we opened our doors. If you hire us, we’ll put our extensive resources and track record of success to work for you immediately.
How Zayed Law Offices Can Help After a Motorcycle Accident in Chicago
There’s a meaningful difference between operating a motorcycle and driving a car, as any rider can attest to. The visceral nature of the experience is unmatched, and the journey of going from one place to another becomes the destination itself. But at the same time, motorcycle riding is not without significant risks. If you’ve sustained injuries in a Chicago motorcycle accident, you deserve to be compensated in full.
Zayed Law Offices can help you every step of the way, offering comprehensive legal services throughout the process. We’ll treat you like family, ensuring your case receives the best of our dedication and significant resources. Our award-winning Chicago personal injury lawyers have been featured on national news outlets such as NBC and CBS, in addition to numerous accolades from legal professional organizations like Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers. Our legal team can assist with your motorcycle accident case by:
- Fully evaluating your damages
- Internally investigating your accident
- Collecting evidence in support of your claim
- Protecting you from undue allegations of comparative negligence
- Negotiating with the opposing party on your behalf
- Taking your case to court if necessary
Contact our Chicago law firm today to begin forming an attorney-client relationship. Your initial consultation is free of charge and risk-free.
Illinois Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) publishes annual Crash Facts reports for motor vehicle accidents across the state. The latest report is from 2021 and states the following regarding motorcycle accident statistics in particular:
- Motorcycle accidents accounted for 1.1% of all traffic accidents across the state, with a total of 3,274
- At a total of 174, the number of motorcyclists killed in accidents increased by 14.5% from the year prior
- Of the total number of crashes, 2,380 resulted in an injury
These data reflect crashes involving motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, motorbikes, and 3-wheeled motorcycles.
What Is the Value of My Chicago Motorcycle Accident Claim?
The value of your motorcycle accident claim in Chicago will ultimately come down to the facts and circumstances specific to your case. Before demanding compensation from the at-fault party, it’s important to accurately and thoroughly evaluate the losses you’ve sustained. Otherwise, you might end up with an insufficient settlement amount that doesn’t compensate you fully.
Factors that could play a role in how much your case is worth include:
- The severity of the injuries you’ve sustained
- Whether you’ll be able to return to work, and in what capacity
- The impact the accident has had and will continue to have on your day-to-day life
- The terms of any auto or health insurance policies that apply to your case
- How much evidence there is to help support your claim
- Whether you share responsibility for the crash
At Zayed Law Offices, we cut no corners in the case evaluation process. If necessary, we have access to experts that can further assess your claim and its value. Only once we have all the information in hand will we proceed and send a demand letter to the opposing party.
During your free consultation with one of our Chicago motorcycle accident attorneys, we can provide personalized insight into how valuable your case may be. Call today.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Chicago, IL
Motorcycles are more difficult to operate than most other vehicles since they only have two wheels, requiring additional balance and control. They are also generally faster and much smaller than cars and trucks. These factors combine to make accidents occur for the following reasons most commonly:
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Improper lane changes
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Fatigued driving
- Defective parts or machinery
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Poor road or weather conditions
Contact our motorcycle accident lawyers in Chicago today to discuss your legal rights and options after a crash in the area.
Establishing Liability for a Chicago Motorcycle Accident
Most often, you’ll need to prove that the at-fault driver was negligent to recover compensation after a motorcycle accident. Negligence is a legal term that means something similar to “carelessness.”
To establish negligence liability, you must assert the following:
- You were owed a duty of care at the time of the crash. Motorists owe a duty of care in terms of obeying the rules of the road and driving (or riding) safely.
- The other driver breached their duty of care to you. For example, running a red light likely constitutes a breach of duty.
- The other driver caused the accident, both factually and proximately.
- You sustained damages as a result of the crash.
These elements must be satisfied on a “by a preponderance of the evidence” basis, which is essentially a “more likely than not” standard. Evidence you can present includes medical records, expert testimony, eyewitness testimony, photo and video footage, and more.
Putting together a successful negligence claim is something our Chicago personal injury attorneys have been doing for decades in total. Learn about how we can help with your case by calling today to schedule your free consultation.
What Damages Can I Recover Following a Motorcycle Crash in Chicago?
Illinois law allows accident victims to receive both economic and non-economic damages following a motorcycle crash. These damages are meant to compensate you for all of the consequences of the accident you may have experienced.
Examples of damages you can recover include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Decreased enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish and conditions such as PTSD
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Loss of quality of life
- Decreased earning capacity
Punitive damages may be awarded in rare motorcycle accident cases, but only if the at-fault party acted egregiously (such as with an “evil motive” to harm you). There is also a higher burden of proof standard required to obtain punitive damages. Nonetheless, if punitive damages are possible in your case, we’ll work hard to explore the option.
We’ll Fight for Compensation Based on All of Your Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycles do not have a protective metal frame, airbags, and other safety features that automobiles do. That means that in the event of an accident, motorcyclists are especially susceptible to suffering serious injury. Types of injuries our Chicago motorcycle crash lawyers can help you pursue compensation for include:
- Crushing injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Chest injuries
- Neck injuries
- Nerve or organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Leg injuries
These are just a few examples of the accident injuries we’re experienced with. Reach out to us for further information regarding how we can assist with your case.
What if I’m Blamed for My Chicago Motorcycle Accident?
In Illinois, you can still get compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries even if you share some of the blame. The state follows a modified comparative negligence law regarding this issue.
The way it works is that you will be assessed a percentage of responsibility for the crash. As long as this percentage is not 51% or higher, you can still recover damages. However, your compensation can also be reduced based on your assigned percentage – sharing 20% of the blame means your damages can be reduced by 20%.
It’s all but certain that the opposing party will try to say the crash was your fault. After all, they can reduce or escape liability for your claim if they do so successfully. If you hire a qualified Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer, however, you’ll be in a position to respond to these accusations effectively and protect your interests.
What Is the Deadline To File a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit in the State of Illinois?
Illinois law allows you two years from the date of your motorcycle accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. This deadline is established by the state’s statute of limitations. It’s critical that you file your lawsuit on time, as you’ll lose your right to pursue compensation if you don’t.
There are exceptions to the statute of limitations in some instances. Because of that nuance, we recommend contacting a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can after an accident. Doing so will ensure you know the appropriate deadline for your case and will also help you present as strong a case as possible.
Schedule a Free Case Review With an Experienced Chicago Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Chicago, Illinois, reach out to Zayed Law Offices for legal help. Our Chicago motorcycle accident attorneys can fight for the compensation you need and deserve while you focus on your health and well-being.
We also work on a contingency fee basis, which means hiring us costs you nothing upfront. You also only pay us attorney’s fees if we obtain compensation for you.
Call today to schedule your free, no-obligation case review.
Additional Local Resources
Chicago, IL Emergency Rooms & Hospitals
- University Health Systems - 155 N Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Ascension Illinois - 200 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Duly Health and Care - Behavioral & Mental Health - 111 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
- NM Hospital - 122 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated on Google.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL