Have you been injured in an accident on Chicago’s mass transit system, the L? Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help you make things right.
You may be entitled to compensation, and our Chicago L-train mass transit accident lawyers are ready to help you fight for every cent you deserve.
Don’t let the government or their insurance company intimidate you after your mass transit accident. Demand accountability and top results by enlisting the help of our nationally-acclaimed legal team.
How Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After an L-Train Mass Transit Accident in Chicago, IL
What caused the L-train to crash or derail? Was it the operator’s fault? Did the train malfunction? Who can be held legally responsible for the physical, financial, and psychological damage you’ve suffered? What’s a fair settlement?
Accidents involving Chicago’s L system can be complicated. These accidents tend to require exhaustive investigations and involve nuanced matters of liability. Since the L system is city-run, you’ll likely be dealing with a government agency.
This can all be intimidating, but the good news is that you’re not alone in this fight.
Our Chicago personal injury lawyers are respected Illinois trial attorneys with the experience and resources you’ll need to get the results you need. We’re ready to stand beside you and demand the financial accountability you deserve.
When you turn to our Chicago personal injury law firm for help after an L accident, you can expect us to:
- Assess the findings of any investigations conducted by the City of Chicago and other government agencies
- Conduct an independent inquiry into the circumstances of your L accident
- Obtain and analyze train maintenance and inspection logs, operator reports, video footage, photographs, damage to property, witness statements, medical records, and other evidence
- Bring in mass transit specialists, train engineers and operators, rail specialists, forensic specialists, and other experts to consult on your case
- Build a compelling legal claim that’s designed to leverage a maximum settlement during negotiations with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and other parties
- Represent your best interests at trial if you don’t receive a fair settlement offer
You’re going through an incredibly difficult time in your life. You’ll get through it. Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys will be there to help every step of the way.
We offer a free consultation, so there’s no added financial stress to get the legal help you deserve. You only pay if we obtain compensation for your Chicago L mass transit accident case. Call our law office in Chicago, Illinois, to get started with a free consultation now.
What Makes Chicago L-Train Mass Transit Accident Cases Different?
Chicago is home to one of the nation’s most sophisticated and expansive mass transit systems. In fact, the L is the second busiest rail mass transit system in the United States, behind New York’s Subway system. On an average weekday, more than 620,000 people ride the L.
Unfortunately, not all rides on the L end as expected. In fact, the CTA has been knocked for ranking near the bottom in terms of rapid transit safety measures. Accidents happen, and people get seriously injured or killed on the CTA’s elevated train system every year.
When accidents happen, the pursuit of compensation can be a challenge. Here’s why it’s incredibly important to enlist the help of an experienced L-train mass transit accident attorney in Chicago if you’ve been hurt.
Multiple Parties Can Be Liable
Mass transit accidents - including L accidents - can happen for many different reasons. Often, there are several contributing factors.
As a result, multiple parties can potentially be liable for an L accident. This can include L train operators, train mechanics, train passengers, vehicle and equipment manufacturers, or even the Chicago Transit Authority. Determining liability requires a thorough investigation and careful analysis of all accident-related facts and evidence.
Suing the Government Can Complicate Matters
Generally speaking, the government can’t be sued if you’re injured in an accident. However, there are exceptions when the government’s negligence causes or contributes to your accident. Since the L is owned and operated by the Chicago Transit Authority - a government agency - it can make a legal claim for damages more challenging.
Government tort claims are subject to their own special rules and procedures, so they must be handled by an attorney with experience with these types of personal injury cases.
Heightened Duty of Care
Chicago’s elevated rail system is a common carrier. The service transports passengers from one place to another in exchange for a fee. Since compensation is paid, the Chicago Transit Authority (and train operators) assume a heightened duty of care.
Illinois law mandates that a common carrier exercise the highest degree of care to protect its passengers from assault, injury, or abuse by other passengers or third parties.
So, even minor mistakes or errors can be considered a breach of the duty of care owed to you as a passenger on the L. This can be critical as you build a negligence action and fight to recover compensation for your injuries.
What Causes Most Chicago L Accidents?
Negligence is the most common cause of L train accidents in Chicago, Illinois.
Common contributing factors include:
- Signal errors
- Tight headways
- Defective tracks
- Poorly maintained tracks
- Broken rails
- Operator inattention
- Collisions between trains
- Mechanical failure
- Negligent inspections and maintenance
- Unprotected crossings
- Operator intoxication
- Operator fatigue
- Passenger negligence
Our L accident attorneys in Chicago, IL, will carefully evaluate the circumstances surrounding your crash. We’ll analyze the crash from every possible angle, working hard to uncover all potential reasons for the wreck. Once we’ve determined the cause(s), our law firm can begin to build a legal claim and seek damages from liable parties.
What Compensation Can I Get If I’ve Been Injured in a Chicago Mass Transit Accident?
Accidents involving Chicago’s L trains can be catastrophic. After all, the trains aren’t equipped with airbags or seatbelts and are elevated way above the city’s roadways.
Collisions can leave victims struggling with debilitating injuries, crippling emotional distress, and sky-high financial costs.
Fortunately, the State of Illinois gives L accident victims in Chicago the opportunity to seek compensation in an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Both economic and non-economic damages can be awarded, including money for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Diminished earning capacity
- Lost wages
- Nursing care
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Chronic physical pain
- Funeral expenses
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Loss of consortium
Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys won’t let the defendant downplay your injuries or minimize the impact the L accident has had on your life. We’ll enlist the help of specialists and work together to build a persuasive legal claim that demonstrates just how much your life has changed since your accident. When it’s time to negotiate, the other side won’t have any choice but to engage in meaningful settlement discussions and extend you a reasonable offer.
Common Mass Transit Accident Injuries in Chicago, Illinois
Victims of mass transit accidents and L train accidents in Chicago can suffer catastrophic injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Crushing injury
- Chest injury
- Internal organ damage
- Back injury
- Sprains and strains
- Joint injury
- Neck injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death of a family member
At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, we understand how much is riding on your personal injury case after you’ve been injured on an L train. Let us help you fight to get the best possible outcome.
What’s the Deadline To File a Mass Transit Injury Lawsuit in Illinois?
If you’re filing a lawsuit against the CTA or another government agency, your case will be subject to limitations set by the Illinois Court of Claims Act.
This will give you:
- One year from the date you’re injured to notify the Attorney General or Court of Claims of your intent to sue, or
- One year from the date of your L accident to file a lawsuit with the Court of Claims.
If you file a lawsuit against a non-government entity, the state’s standard statute of limitations for personal injury cases will apply. This will give you two years from the date of your L accident or family member’s wrongful death to pursue compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago L Accident Lawyer
An L train accident can change the course of your life forever. Even if your injuries are temporary, they can impose burdensome financial costs and prevent you from enjoying your life.
The good news is that you can demand compensation if someone’s negligence caused you to get hurt.
The better news is that the Chicago L Accident Attorneys at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can put you in he position to maximize your financial recovery.
Call our law office in Chicago, Illinois, to learn more. Your initial case evaluation is 100 percent free.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Chicago, IL
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL at Cook County also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL