When the children in our lives suffer pain and injury, we want to make it all go away. Knowing that the injury wasn't an accident—that someone's intentional or careless actions caused it—often makes coping even harder. Fortunately, Illinois law permits you to take legal action against the party responsible for your child's injury to recover related damages.
If your child has suffered any type of injury, including a Chicago dog bite injury, spinal cord injury, Chicago burn injury, broken bones injury, or a catastrophic injury due to negligence or intentional harm, an experienced Chicago child injury lawyer from Zayed Law Offices can help.
Zayed Law Offices Fights for Injured Children
The skilled Chicago personal injury lawyers at Zayed Law Offices has been advocating for victims of negligence, including children, for more than a decade. The firm's dedication to investigation, case preparation, client service, and justice has led to the recovery of millions in damages from settlements and jury awards for their clients. No amount of money will take away your child's pain or turn back the clock, but taking action helps in other ways. Clients who receive compensation for their child's injuries gain relief from the economic loss that typically comes with a severe child injury. Settlements and jury awards help fund continued care, pay for medical bills, and replace the income that parents lose while caring for their injured child. We cannot guarantee specific financial results for your child injury claim, but the team at Zayed Law Offices aggressively pursues compensation for our clients.
Types of Childs Injuries in Chicago
Children can suffer injuries in many ways. Their small frames and abundant activity put them in harm's way, making them more vulnerable to injury than adults. Zayed Law Offices handles a wide range of child injuries stemming from negligence and reckless behavior. Examples of the types of child injury cases we handle include:
Sometimes newborns enter the world with unpreventable conditions, illnesses, and diseases. However, many birth injuries occur because of medical negligence or malpractice, making them entirely preventable. Doctors who fail to diagnose fetal distress or maternal health issues put newborns at risk for lifelong health problems. Incorrect usage of birthing tools and fetal monitoring systems can also lead to birth injuries. If your newborn suffered a birth injury, you might not see the signs and symptoms for months or years until you notice your child misses one or more major developmental milestones. Our experienced lawyers can review your claim and help you file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the medical professionals responsible for your child's injury if necessary. Traffic Accidents Vehicle crashes are among the top causes of injuries and fatalities in Chicago and nationwide. Children often suffer injuries during minor and major traffic accidents because of their small size. Some safety features also cause injuries when an accident occurs. Even when strapped into booster seats and car seats, children can sustain bruising and wounds from seat belts, harnesses, and airbags. Traffic accidents can also cause severe whiplash, brain injuries, and other serious injuries that cause long-term complications for children.
The Chicago area is full of busy residential neighborhoods where children play. Negligent drivers can injure children, whether the children are crossing the road to go to a friend's house or going for a leisurely family walk after dinner. Motorists have a legal duty to drive with care when sharing the road with pedestrians. Distracted, reckless, and drunk drivers pose a considerable risk to child pedestrians, who will likely not walk away unscathed if a driver hits them. The skilled child injury lawyers at Zayed Law Offices help parents hold negligent drivers accountable when carelessness harms a child. Speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer today about your claim.
Riding a bike is a favorite pastime for many kids, especially during summers in Chicago. Bicycles offer an excellent way for children to get exercise and break away from cell phones, tablets, and other screens. However, cycling on Chicago's residential streets comes with the same risks as walking. Distracted, drunk, and careless drivers sometimes hit children. With little protection from the vehicle and the road, children involved in bicycle accidents often face multiple fractures and other serious injuries if they survive the accident.
School Bus Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), school buses are the safest way to get your child to and from school. School bus accident fatalities make up less than one percent of all traffic deaths across the nation each year. NHTSA reports that students are 70 times more likely to make it to school safely on a bus than if they ride in the family vehicle. However, Chicago's heavy traffic increases the likelihood of school bus accidents. Depending on the situation, the school district or a third-party company that contracts school buses could be responsible for damages if your child suffers injuries in a school bus accident.
Amusement Park Injuries
Chicago's Navy Pier, Six Flags, and other amusement parks and waterparks in the Greater Chicago area are responsible for maintaining rides and their property to protect visitors from accidents and injuries. Negligent park operators and employees create conditions that can cause severe child injuries. Examples of things that might lead to your child's injury at an amusement park, theme park, or waterpark include:
- Defective or malfunctioning lap bars, restraints, and other safety features on rides
- Distracted ride operators
- Poorly trained employees and ride operators
- Rides with poor designs
- Failure to regularly inspect rides and other equipment
- Ride operators who do not follow minimum height rules
- Failure to provide adequate security in and around the park
Whether sledding, skating, and building snowmen in the winter or frolicking outside during Chicago's warm summer, the city's green spaces and playgrounds provide plenty of opportunities for children to get out of the house and let out some energy. Those tasked with maintaining public and private playgrounds have a legal duty to inspect equipment and keep the area safe for children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates at least 200,000 children under 14 seek medical treatment for playground injuries each year. Many playground injuries are traumatic brain injuries (TBI), potentially causing lifelong complications. Fortunately, most injuries are broken bones, cuts, scrapes, and bruises; many heal entirely. However, when faulty playground equipment harms your child, another party may be liable to pay for associated medical costs.
According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), children suffer over 250,000 toy-related injuries each year. Approximately three out of four happen to children under age 15. Various toys lead to child injuries, but non-motorized scooters cause the most injuries to most age groups. In many cases, toy injuries do not warrant legal action. However, when serious injuries occur, especially because of a defective toy or other children's product, you need to let a lawyer review your claims. Poorly constructed toys and unsafe designs open the manufacturer to liability for damages if a child suffers harm from their product. Similarly, toy companies have a responsibility to warn consumers of any dangers associated with their products.
Anybody can suffer dog bite injuries during a dog attack, but children are especially vulnerable. An average size dog's mouth sits close to the face of a small child. Even small dogs can cause injury when they jump up and bite. Dog bites can be fatal, cause painful wounds, broken bones, and leave permanent scars. For children, dog bites often carry emotional trauma too. Many must engage in counseling to work through the mental aspects of their injury. The legal team at Zayed Law Offices knows how to help you hold negligent dog owners accountable for their dangerous pets.
Slip and Fall/Trip and Fall Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional falls are among the leading causes of injuries for children. Property owners in Chicago have a legal responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors, including children. If a child slips or trips and falls because a negligent property owner did not uphold their duty, the owner could be liable for damages related to the injury. Common dangers that lead to child injuries include the failure to remove snow and ice from storefronts and parking lots, wet and dry spills, loose or worn floor coverings, rotted steps, and faulty handrails.
Teens and tweens are especially vulnerable to sports injuries. According to the CDC, over 2.6 million children receive emergency treatment for sports-related injuries each year. The most severe sports injuries typically occur with full-contact sports like football, soccer, hockey, and rugby. Sprains and strains are common sports injuries that usually heal completely. However, athletes also risk broken bones and concussions, medically referred to as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). The human brain does not fully develop until after age 20, so children who suffer a TBI face developmental issues. A concussion not only leads to the likelihood of future concussions but can have a lifelong impact on cognitive functions and behavior. Many parents assume they have no recourse after a sports injury because they signed a waiver. This isn't always true; always consult with an experienced Chicago child injury attorney to learn about your legal options.
Recovering Damages After a Child Injury
In most cases, Illinois law gives you two years to file a personal injury lawsuit after your child has suffered injuries. Some rare exceptions exist, so it's a good idea to consult with an experienced lawyer to determine which time limit applies to your specific circumstances. If you file a claim and reach a settlement or a court rules in your child's favor, you could receive compensation for damages related to their injuries. Common damages child injury victims receive include:
- Medical treatment costs, including ambulance service, emergency room treatment, surgery, radiology, lab testing, prescriptions, and aftercare
- Estimated future medical expenses when your child suffers a permanent injury that requires ongoing care and treatment
- Lost wages for the time you had to take off work to care for your injured child
- Lost earning capacity if your child's injury prevents them from seeking employment when they reach working age
- Assistive devices and technology such as crutches, wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, braces, and special computer programs for communication
- Rehabilitation costs for specialized treatment with physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, mental health professionals, or other specialists who help your child cope with the physical or emotional aftermath of their injury
- Home modification costs to make your house more accessible for your child, such as handrails, wheelchair ramp, widening doors, and constructing a main floor living area
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Decreased quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Get the Legal Help You Need from Zayed Law Offices
In the weeks and months after your child's injury, you are also experiencing emotional pain from watching your child suffer. At Zayed Law Offices, we understand the challenges you and your family face after a child injury, and we are here to help you through this difficult time. We know how to advocate for your child and build a case against the responsible parties. If your child has suffered harm because of another's careless or reckless behavior, contact us online or call (312) 726-1616 for a free case review.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL