When you use a product as intended, you don’t expect it to hurt you. After all, companies must adhere to federal safety standards and specifications when designing, manufacturing, and supplying products. Unfortunately, millions of people seek medical treatment for consumer product injuries each year.
We’re fierce negotiators and skilled trial attorneys dedicated to helping injured victims after being involved in a Chicago burn injury case, premises liability claim, Chicago bicycle accident, catastrophic injuries, bus accident, or any other accident to receive maximum financial recoveries.
If you need legal advice, call our Chicago law firm at (312) 726-1616 or contact us online. You can schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chicago product liability lawyer to discuss a potential claim for damages.
How Can an Attorney Help If I’ve Been Injured By a Defective Product in Chicago, IL?
Complex litigation often accompanies cases involving product liability. Large corporations have teams of defense attorneys and researchers on their side to fight claims and protect their profits.
It’s essential to have an experienced attorney to level the playing field and ensure you get fair compensation for your injuries.
The Chicago personal injury lawyers at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can take on insurance companies and corporate attorneys and obtain the best possible outcome for you. We have acquired tens of millions of dollars for injured people throughout Illinois.
If you hire us to help with your product liability claim in Chicago, Illinois, we’ll:
- Investigate the product defect that caused your injury and determine whether the item has been recalled by the FDA
- Gather evidence, including opinions from leading experts regarding technical aspects of your case
- Calculate the total value of your damages, including lost earning capacity and future medical needs
- Negotiate with insurers and defense lawyers, handle filings, and monitor deadlines
- Represent you in court if the opposing party fails to offer an equitable settlement
Taking on a defective product claim without legal representation is risky. Our experienced product liability attorneys in Chicago will handle the entirety of your case and keep you updated throughout the process. Call our law office today for a free initial consultation to learn more.
What Is Product Liability in Illinois, and How Do I Prove My Case?
U.S. manufacturers, retailers, and distributors are required to ensure the safety of their consumer products before releasing them into the market. Even with inherently dangerous products, companies have a duty to warn potential users of any known risks.
When a company’s defective product injures a consumer, it can be held financially accountable under product liability laws.
In Illinois, any entity involved in placing an item in the stream of commerce can share liability. That includes sellers and companies that manufacture, install, assemble, repair, package, or market products.
The following types of defects can give rise to a valid product liability lawsuit:
A product is defectively designed if it’s manufactured according to required specifications but is inherently dangerous due to its design. This defect affects the whole line of products.
In a defective design product liability case, the plaintiff must typically prove that a safer, economically feasible alternative design exists. Additionally, the alternative must be reasonable. For example, it must perform the same function as intended by the designer of the defective item.
An example of a design defect is a structurally unstable dresser that tips over easily.
Sometimes, a defect occurs during the manufacturing process. In this case, one item or a batch of products may be defective.
In a manufacturing defect case, the plaintiff must prove that the item was unreasonably dangerous because of a deviation from the intended design.
Manufacturing defects may include a batch of medications being contaminated with an unintended ingredient or installing the wrong-sized bolt on a wheel.
Failure to Warn/Marketing Defects
Companies have a duty to include warning labels to inform consumers of any unapparent hazards. They must also include adequate instructions on how to properly assemble and use a product.
An example is a company’s failure to warn of the presence of an unreasonably harmful chemical in a beauty product.
For example, some hair relaxers have been linked to an increased risk of developing uterine cancer. Multiple product liability lawsuits have been filed due to the manufacturer’s failure to warn of the potential adverse effects of using the products. Many of these claims also include defective design as a cause of action.
Our Law Firm Handles All Types of Defective Product Cases in Chicago, IL
Various products can cause injuries when they’re defectively designed, manufactured, or marketed. Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help, regardless of how you were harmed or what caused it.
Our Chicago product liability attorneys will handle your case if you or a loved one were injured by a defective:
- Household cleaning product
- Soap or detergent
- Appliance, such as a stove, oven, or microwave
- Medication or prescription drug
- Medical device
- Pesticide, such as Roundup
- Motor vehicle part, such as faulty brakes, seat belts, or airbags
- Power tool
- Bed, pillow, or mattress
- Chair, sofa, or another type of furniture
- Children’s toy or product
- Piece of heavy machinery or equipment
- Electronic device, such as a television or smartphone
- Battery or charger
- Cosmetic, sunscreen, or hair product
- Staircase or ramp
- Piece of sports or fitness equipment
If any of these items or another product caused you harm, contact our personal injury lawyers in Chicago for a free case evaluation.
What Is the Value of My Chicago Product Liability Claim?
Each product liability case is unique. They involve different products, victims, and injuries.
Multiple people may have sustained injuries from the same product. Additionally, the defendant's identity is a significant factor in these cases. If it’s a large corporation, you’re likely to receive more money than if it’s a small local business.
When our defective product attorneys in Chicago are calculating your damages, we’ll consider:
- The product and defect involved, and whether the company knew or should’ve known about the potential dangers
- The severity of your injuries and all the ways they negatively affect your everyday life
- Your medical bills and other financial costs incurred
- The level of pain, emotional trauma, and suffering you’ve endured
- Your loss of income and employment benefits
- Whether you’re able to continue working in the same capacity as before your defective product injury
- Whether you used the product as intended when you were injured
- Whether you’ve sustained an injury that permanently disables or impairs you
These and other factors will be crucial when assessing your losses. Call our Chicago defective product attorneys today for a free consultation to learn more about your product liability case and what it may be worth.
What Compensation Can I Receive If I Was Hurt By a Defective Product in Chicago, Illinois?
Defective product victims in Illinois can pursue compensation for their financial losses (economic damages). They can also seek recovery for the emotional and physical aspects of their injuries, known as non-economic damages.
Economic damages in an Illinois product liability case may include:
- The medical costs you’ve incurred
- Future medical expenses if you require ongoing care
- Physical therapy
- Lost income
- Reduced earning potential if you cannot work in the same capacity as before the defective product injured you
- Necessary out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages can be difficult to calculate and might include:
- Permanent disability, impairment, scarring, or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life
In some cases, an Illinois court may award punitive damages to punish a defendant for reckless conduct. For example, if a company knew its product contained a harmful chemical but failed to warn consumers of the risk, a court may deem punitive damages appropriate.
Types of Injuries Caused By Defective Products
Our product liability lawyers in Chicago can help no matter what type of injury you’ve suffered, including:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Concussion or traumatic brain injury
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Nerve damage
- Hearing loss
- Eye injury
- Illnesses from exposure to toxic chemicals
- Respiratory issues
- Worsened conditions caused by a defective medical device
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injury
If you lost a loved one due to a defective product, our personal injury attorneys in Chicago can help you file a wrongful death case.
What Is the Time Limit To File a Product Liability Lawsuit in Illinois?
Under Illinois law, the statute of limitations limits your time to file a product liability case. You must typically take legal action within two years of the date you knew or should’ve known of your defective product injury.
However, the statutory deadline for product liability cases can be complicated. For example, you may have developed a medical condition that was later linked to the use of a product by scientific studies.
Regardless, the Illinois statute of repose sets an ultimate time limit for filing a product liability claim. You’ll have no longer than:
- Twelve years from the date of the first lease, sale, or delivery by a seller; or
- Ten years from the date of the first lease, sale, or delivery of the product to its initial user or non-seller.
Deadlines in a product liability case can get complicated. Call our defective product lawyers in Chicago to discuss your situation and preserve your right to compensation.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Defective Product Lawyers for a Free Initial Consultation
Were you injured by a dangerous or defective product in Chicago, IL? If so, the Chicago personal injury attorneys at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help.
We’ll fight for the compensation you deserve for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Contact our dedicated and compassionate team of attorneys today for a free case assessment to see how an attorney-client relationship can benefit you.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Chicago, IL
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL at Cook County also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL