Did you get into an accident involving a Lyft rideshare vehicle in Chicago? Illinois law allows injured parties to pursue legal claims against those responsible for their accidents. Zayed Law Offices can help you recover compensation for every consequence you’ve experienced, including your pain and suffering, financial losses, and more.
We’re a leading personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, that has been helping clients in the area since 2009. Our attorneys have decades of experience in total, and we’ve secured tens of millions of dollars in compensation for deserving victims and their families after a Chicago commercial vehicle accident, Chicago train accident, pedestrian accident, slip, and fall accident, or any other type of accident.
Call us at (312) 726-1616 or contact us online to get started. We offer a free, no-risk consultation where you can speak with one of our experienced Chicago Lyft accident lawyers about your case and your legal options.
How Zayed Law Offices Can Help if You Were Injured in a Chicago Lyft Accident
Lyft drivers aren’t held to especially high standards. They usually use their personal vehicles to make trips, and they don’t have to go through any extensive training or hiring procedures. If driving for Lyft is their sole source of income, they may even be more prone to fatigued driving and dangerous behaviors such as speeding. Although these concerns make Lyft crashes far from unheard of, that doesn’t mean you aren’t deserving of full compensation for your injuries.
While you take time to rest and recover from the accident, a trusted Chicago injury attorney from Zayed Law Offices can fight for your rights and interests. Our award-winning legal team understands Illinois personal injury law inside and out; we won’t be afraid to take your case the distance if the circumstances call for it. If you hire us, we’ll be able to:
- Investigate your accident to collect evidence and evaluate all of your damages
- Hire experts, like accident reconstructionists, to strengthen your claim
- Protect you from unfounded allegations of contributory fault
- Take care of all the correspondence and paperwork related to your case
- Negotiate a settlement agreement with the opposing party on your behalf
- File a personal injury lawsuit and bring your case to court if necessary
Learn more about what we can do to help with your Lyft accident case in Chicago, Illinois, by contacting our law office today for a free case review.
Are Lyft Accidents Common?
There are only limited data available regarding the prevalence of Lyft accidents. After many years in business, Lyft finally released its first Community Safety Report, shedding some light on the subject. The report was released in 2021 and reflects numbers from 2017 to 2019.
Specifically, the report indicates that there were 49 Lyft accident fatalities in 2019, 34 in 2018, and 22 in 2017. Lyft did not provide statistics for less serious crashes, such as those causing non-fatal injuries or resulting in property damage only.
Though this report is a step in the right direction, it does not necessarily paint a complete picture of how often Lyft accidents occur – considering the vast majority of crashes are not fatal.
How Much Is My Chicago Lyft Accident Case Worth?
The facts and circumstances surrounding your Lyft accident in Chicago will determine how much your case is worth. Many factors can play a role in the evaluation process, such as:
- The nature and severity of your injuries
- Whether you are partly responsible for the crash
- The availability of supporting evidence to prove your claim
- How old you were at the time of the accident
- The insurance policies that apply to the case
- Whether you will make a full medical recovery and will be able to return to work
It’s important to fully understand how valuable your case is before demanding compensation from the at-fault party. You only have one chance to get money damages for your injuries; if you settle your case for too little an amount, you may end up with an insufficient sum going forward.
If you hire Zayed Law Offices, our Chicago rideshare accident lawyers will work hard to maximize the value of your claim so that you can move forward with your life as best as possible. Call today for more information regarding how much your case might be worth.
Common Causes of Lyft Rideshare Accidents in Chicago, IL
Overall, Lyft crashes occur for the same kinds of reasons that other car accidents do. In our experience, common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Bad weather or road conditions
- Fatigued driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Running a stop sign or red light
- Aggressive driving
- Improper lane changes or turns
- Defective machinery or auto parts
You may have a claim for compensation regardless of why your Lyft accident occurred. Contact Zayed Law Offices today to set up a time to talk about your case for free.
How Does Insurance Work in Chicago Lyft Accident Cases?
Illinois is an “at-fault” car insurance state, and drivers must purchase minimum amounts of coverage. After an accident, you, as the victim, may file a claim against the responsible party’s insurance company for compensation.
However, Lyft accident cases have unique insurance considerations. Depending on the driver’s status at the time of the crash, you may be able to file a claim against one of Lyft’s insurance policies instead of their personal coverage:
- If the driver was not working at the time of the crash (meaning their Lyft app was off), you must file a claim against their personal car insurance policy.
- If the driver had their app on and was able to receive a ride request (but had yet to do so), Lyft’s smaller insurance policy of up to $100,000 per accident could apply if the driver’s personal coverage does not.
- In the event that the Lyft driver was carrying a passenger or on their way to do so, you might be eligible to file a claim against the company’s $1 million insurance policy.
It can take investigative work to determine the Lyft driver’s status and, from there, what your best legal course of action is. Zayed Law Offices can handle the entire claims process for you while you focus on your health and well-being. Contact us today for legal help and advice.
What Damages Can I Claim After a Lyft Accident in Chicago?
Lyft accident victims in Chicago can claim both economic and non-economic damages following a crash. These “compensatory damages” are meant to make up for nearly every effect the accident may have had. Examples of damages you can recover include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lost wages
- Loss of quality of life
- Current and future medical expenses
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Conditions such as PTSD and depression
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Decreased earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
- Emotional distress
In rare cases involving egregious conduct (such as an intent to cause you harm), punitive damages may also be awarded. Punitive damages also require a higher burden of proof standard under Illinois law than economic and non-economic damages.
We’ll Fight for Compensation Based on All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
Motor vehicle safety is consistently improving, but it still has a significant way to go. Lyft accidents can cause severe, life-altering injuries such as the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Leg injuries
- Nerve damage
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Crushing injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Neck injuries
- Organ damage
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Our Chicago Lyft accident attorneys are here to assist, no matter the injuries you’ve sustained. Reach out today to begin the process of receiving the compensation you need and deserve.
What if the Opposing Party Tries To Say the Lyft Accident Was My Fault?
Illinois applies a “modified comparative negligence” standard with a 51% bar to recovery regarding the issue of contributory fault. Under Illinois law, you can still recover compensation after a Lyft accident so long as you weren’t mostly to blame.
However, your damages can be adjusted based on how much responsibility you shared. For instance, sharing 25% of the blame means your damages can be reduced by 25%. And sharing 51% or more of the fault instead means you’d be barred from receiving any damages.
It’s highly likely that the at-fault party will try to pin the blame on you for the crash. If they succeed, you might walk away with substantially less compensation – or even nothing at all.
The issue of contributory fault is one area where having an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side can make the difference between a favorable and unfavorable outcome. An attorney can advocate for you and ensure you aren’t assessed more fault than is appropriate.
How Much Time Will I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Lyft Accident in Chicago, Illinois?
Per the Illinois personal injury statute of limitations, you’ll have two years from the date of your Lyft accident to file a lawsuit. If you miss the deadline, you will lose your ability to get compensation from the at-fault party.
Note that there are exceptions to the two-year statute of limitations for some cases. Confirming the deadline for your particular situation with a Chicago personal injury lawyer is highly recommended so that you can maintain your legal rights.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Lyft Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation
You may have a lucrative legal claim after a Lyft accident in Chicago, Illinois. Zayed Law Offices has the experience and resources you can rely on to hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions. And since our Chicago Lyft accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, we only get paid attorney’s fees if we obtain compensation for you.
Call today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL