Were you injured in a commercial vehicle accident in Chicago, IL? Navigating the aftermath of these complex collisions often demands a high level of legal experience. This is where a Chicago commercial vehicle accident attorney can provide invaluable guidance and support.
Fortunately, the legal team at Zayed Law Offices is here to assist. We are adept at understanding both state statutes and federal regulations related to different types of commercial vehicles. Our skilled attorneys have decades of legal experience and have recovered millions of dollars for personal injury victims throughout Illinois.
How Can Zayed Law Offices Help If You’re in a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Chicago, IL?
If you find yourself involved in a commercial vehicle accident in Chicago, Illinois, Zayed Law Offices can offer support to reduce the burden of navigating the situation alone.
Here's how we can help:
- A crucial step we will take when building your case is collecting evidence. This can include accident reports, photos of the scene, witness testimonies, and medical records that detail your injuries.
- We might actively involve industry experts who can reinforce our legal strategy with their knowledge and unbiased opinions on complex matters, such as crash reconstruction or medical analysis.
- We’ll act as intermediaries between you and insurance companies who routinely contest liability and damages as a way to limit their payouts. We will negotiate with them and ensure you aren’t taken advantage of.
Don’t try to handle the aftermath of a commercial vehicle collision alone. Contact Zayed Law Offices today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chicago commercial vehicle accident lawyer.
How Common Are Commercial Vehicle Accidents in Illinois?
The following are some statistics regarding commercial vehicle accidents in Illinois in 2022:
- 167 fatal semi-truck accidents
- The FMCSA reported 8,251 large truck and bus accidents, leading to 203 fatal accidents
These statistics shed light on the impact of commercial vehicles on Illinois roadways, underscoring the importance of stringent safety measures and regulations.
What is My Chicago Commercial Vehicle Accident Case Worth?
The value of a commercial vehicle accident case can vary significantly based on several factors:
This includes all costs related to medical care from the point of injury onwards, factoring in both immediate and ongoing treatment needs. The higher your medical expenses, the more likely you are to get a larger settlement or verdict.
Extent of Your Injury
The severity and nature of the injury – whether it is permanent or temporary – will greatly influence your claim's worth.
If it can be proven that you suffered emotional trauma as a result of an accident, this can increase the value of your claim.
Insurance Policy Limits
The coverage limits of the at-fault party’s insurance policy will also come into play when determining what you are able to recover. If your damages exceed the policy limits, you will need to discuss the possibility of filing a personal injury lawsuit to recoup the rest of your costs.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available to Victims of Commercial Vehicle Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
There are three primary categories of damages that accident victims may be eligible to recover:
Economic damages refer to compensation for your actual monetary losses – both past and future. It includes things such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages from time off work due to injury recovery or disability
- Reduced earning potential
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses related directly to the incident, like property repair or rental car fees
Non-economic damages are awarded for losses that aren't necessarily financial but still deserve recognition and compensation because of the impact they have on your life. These types of damages most commonly include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium.
Punitive damages are awarded less frequently and serve a different purpose from the other two types. These are designed primarily to penalize the defendant for particularly dangerous or evil behavior and to deter others from committing similar acts.
Consulting a Chicago auto accident lawyer is essential to determine exactly what types of damages you are entitled to.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Illinois?
In Illinois, motor vehicle accident cases operate under a modified comparative negligence system. This means that you could still potentially recover compensation even if you're partially blamed for a commercial vehicle accident.
Any compensation you recover will be reduced by your percentage of responsibility.
However, your degree of fault must be 50 percent or less. If it is found that your portion of responsibility in causing the accident surpasses this threshold, you are generally barred from recovering any damages.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Commercial Vehicle Accident Injuries
Commercial vehicle accidents, whether involving a delivery van or a semi-truck, can lead to some of the most serious types of injuries due to their size and weight, including the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Other catastrophic injuries
No matter what type of injury you sustain, you should take it seriously and seek medical attention, as sometimes symptoms don’t show up right away.
What Causes Most Commercial Vehicle Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
Several factors often result in commercial vehicle accidents in Chicago, Illinois. Understanding these causes can be key to preventing future incidents and ensuring your safety on the roads. Some of the most common include the following:
This remains one of the top reasons for commercial vehicle incidents. Commercial drivers often work long shifts with minimal breaks, leading to fatigue, which is a major contributing factor in many accidents.
Whether it’s eating a meal or using electronic devices while driving, distractions take various forms and continue to be substantial contributors to accidents involving commercial vehicles.
Serious Traffic Violations
Speeding and reckless driving, such as changing lanes abruptly without signaling properly, can also lead to severe crashes involving commercial vehicles.
Commercial vehicle operators are required to possess a special set of skills and knowledge, such as how to handle the large size and weight of their vehicles. However, if they receive poor or inadequate training from the companies that employ them, they may be unable to safely operate their vehicles under all conditions.
How cargo is loaded into commercial trucks can greatly influence operability. If a truck's cargo is improperly balanced or exceeds weight limits, it heightens the risk for serious incidents like jackknifing or rollovers.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Chicago, Illinois?
To prove negligence in a commercial vehicle accident, you need to demonstrate that the other party owed you a duty of care, breached that duty, and caused the accident, leading to injuries and/or damages.
Here’s how you can do this:
Collecting evidence is crucial to prove negligence after an accident.
Here are some types of evidence you should gather:
- Police report: Always call the police after an accident. The officer will create a report detailing their observations and any potential citations issued, which can be valuable in your case.
- Photos and videos: Take photos and videos of the accident scene, including damage to both vehicles, road conditions, traffic signs, and any visible injuries.
- Witness statements: Obtain contact information for witnesses and their accounts of the accident.
- Medical records: Keep detailed records of your injuries, medical treatment, and expenses.
- Black box data: Commercial vehicles, such as trucks, are often equipped with electronic data recorders. They may contain valuable information about the accident, including speed, braking, and location.
If you believe someone else’s negligence caused your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your resulting losses. Speak with a commercial vehicle accident lawyer in Chicago to determine what you’re entitled to.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Illinois?
In Illinois, the general statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years. You typically have two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit. However, understanding precisely when this time limit begins and ends can be complex, as there are sometimes exceptions.
For this reason, you should speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after the accident to ensure you don’t miss your chance to recover compensation and seek justice.
Contact Our Chicago Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you’ve been in an accident with a commercial vehicle in Chicago, Illinois, seeking legal help is essential. At Zayed Law Offices, we are dedicated to supporting your needs and leveraging our comprehensive skill set for the best possible outcome.
Our goal is always to ensure that our clients get a fair shot and have their voices heard and their rights protected throughout this challenging time. Contact Zayed Law Offices at (312) 726-1616 to schedule a free consultation with a Chicago commercial vehicle accident attorney.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL