If you or a loved one were injured in a boating accident in Chicago, IL, you deserve to understand your legal options. An experienced Chicago boating accident lawyer at Zayed Law Offices can help you fight to recover fair compensation. You may be entitled to money for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our attorneys have decades of experience handling personal injury cases here in Chicago. We’ve used that experience to recover tens of millions of dollars on behalf of our injured clients who have been involved in Chicago bus accidents, aviation accidents, Chicago commercial vehicle accidents, uber accidents, birth injuries, and more.
Boating accidents can be terrifying–and you may face a difficult recovery. Contact our law firm in Chicago, Illinois at (312) 726-1616 to schedule a free consultation to get the legal advice you need.
How Can Zayed Law Offices Help After a Boating Accident in Chicago?
Filing a lawsuit can take time and energy. So can the insurance claims process. That’s valuable time and energy that you should be spending focused on recovering from your injuries. Many accident victims give up before they really understand their legal rights.
If you were involved in a boat accident, you deserve the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer in Chicago.
At Zayed Law Offices, we’ve dedicated our entire practice to protecting injured clients like you. We’ve made it onto the list of Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers of America.
When you hire us, you’ll gain an advocate to help build your case by:
- Gathering and analyzing any available evidence
- Working with top-rated experts in various fields to strengthen your claim
- Calculating the full value of your losses so you know how much you deserve
- Standing up and protecting you if the insurance company blames you for the accident
- Negotiating with the insurance adjusters and defense attorneys while you recover
- Fighting for your rights in court, if necessary, to get fair compensation
A serious injury can turn your life upside down. Contact our experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers to learn how we can help you get the money you need to move forward with your life.
How Common Are Boating Accidents in Illinois?
According to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, 52 boating accidents were reported across the state of Illinois in 2022. That’s down from the 88 boating accidents reported to the U.S. Coast Guard in 2021. Still, 40 people were injured in boating accidents in 2022. Unfortunately, six fatalities were also reported.
These accidents can involve all different types of recreational boats, including:
- Cabin motor boats
- Open motor boats
- Pontoon boats
- Jet skis
- Personal watercraft
- Mini-jet boats
- Fishing boats
- Tour boats on the Chicago River
While boat accidents aren’t as common as car accidents, they do have the potential to be very serious. 77% of all boating accidents reported in the state of Illinois in 2022 caused an injury or fatality.
What is My Chicago Boating Accident Injury Claim Worth?
Because all personal injury claims are unique, each case has its own unique value.
Some factors that impact the value of most personal injury cases include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- The value of your lost wages during your recovery
- Whether you will make a full recovery or suffer a long-term disability
- How a long-term disability will impact your future earnings and quality of life
- The emotional trauma and physical pain you have endured
- Whether you share any fault for the accident
To determine how much money you should recover, our lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation. That includes examining the accident itself and how the injuries have impacted your life.
You deserve to understand how much compensation you deserve. Call our law firm in Chicago to schedule a free initial consultation for more information.
What Types of Damages Can Chicago Boating Accident Victims Recover?
Under Illinois personal injury laws, victims can seek compensation for both their economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages are your financial costs, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Nursing care
- Medications or medical devices
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are non-financial losses, often called “pain and suffering” damages, including:
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Additional damages for the wrongful death of a family member
Economic damages are typically fairly easy to prove with receipts and records. However, establishing your future losses can be much more complex. Putting a dollar value on non-economic damages often requires expert testimony.
Fortunately, our lawyers have handled cases similar to yours in the past. We’ll use that experience to your advantage–and to help you maximize your financial recovery.
What is Comparative Negligence, and How Can it Impact My Claim for Compensation?
Comparative negligence is a legal concept. When multiple parties share blame for the same accident, liability is apportioned between them. Each party is liable for their own share of fault.
However, Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. That means you lose your right to compensation once your share of fault reaches 51%. If your percentage of fault is less than 51%, your damages award is reduced by your percentage of fault.
Our Chicago Boating Accident Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
At Zayed Law Offices, we handle all types of boating injury claims, including those involving:
- Broken bones
- Contusions and bruising
- Strains, sprains, and other soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Shock or hypothermia
Our lawyers are here to help you recover fair compensation. Contact our law firm in Chicago to schedule a free case review to learn more.
What Causes Most Boating Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
Boating accidents happen for all different reasons.
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents in Cook County include:
- A boat operator’s inattention or distracted boat drivers
- Inadequate lighting on the vessel
- Excessive speeds
- Sharp turns
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Inexperienced operators
- Hazardous water conditions on Lake Michigan
- Violation of navigational rules
- Improperly anchored vessels
- Drunk driving
- Operating the vessel under the influence of drugs
- Congested waters
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Mechanical failures
- Missing life jackets and safety equipment
- Fuel leaks or spills
Determining the cause of a boating accident can be difficult. It’s important to have a skilled legal team in your corner to handle the investigation. Our lawyers have the resources to conduct the full investigation you deserve. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can put our resources to work for you.
We Handle All Types of Boat Accident Claims
At Zayed Law Offices, our lawyers in Chicago handle all types of boating accident claims, including those involving:
- Collisions with another boat
- Impact with a fixed or floating object
- Contact with a propeller
- Slip and fall accidents on the boat
- Accidents where a victim is struck by the boat
- Fires or explosions
- Falls overboard
- Flooding or swamping
- Running aground
Any boating accident can be a traumatic experience. You don’t have to handle this difficult time alone. Our lawyers are here to help every step of the way, so schedule your free case review today.
How Do I Prove Negligence if I Was Injured in a Boating Accident in Illinois?
Like motor vehicle accidents, most boating accidents happen because someone was negligent. While there are many different types of negligent acts, the legal basis is simple. Someone failed to exercise the level of care that a reasonable person would have used under the circumstances and caused someone else to get hurt.
While the concept is relatively simple, you’ll still need evidence to support your claim. Our lawyers will search for:
- Eyewitnesses to the accident
- Photos and videos taken by passengers or others on the water
- Physical evidence from the boat itself
- Medical records
- Accident reports prepared by the police, DNR, or the Coast Guard
- Statements from accident reconstruction experts
- Statements from the boat owner
Obtaining the evidence to prove your case can be tricky. Our lawyers are up to the challenge. We’re well-prepared to help you determine what and who was responsible for your boat accident in Chicago.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Boating Accident in Illinois?
If Illinois state law applies in your case, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, a different statute of limitations could apply if your case involves federal or maritime laws.
In any case, once the deadline for taking legal action passes, you will forfeit your right to seek financial compensation forever.
Contact an Experienced Chicago Boating Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
At Zayed Law Offices, we offer free consultations so that you can get the legal help you deserve. We know that this is a difficult time. Call today to learn more about how an experienced Chicago boating accident attorney can help you recover the fair compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL