Are you struggling with a life-changing injury after an accident in Chicago, Illinois? Call Zayed Law Offices for immediate assistance. You could be entitled to compensation to cover the costs of your medical bills, supplement a sudden loss of income, and make up for the pain and suffering you’ve endured. Our experienced Chicago catastrophic injury lawyers can help you fight to get the maximum financial payout you deserve.
Zayed Law Offices is a leader in personal injury litigation in Chicago, IL. Since 2009, our award-winning trial attorneys have helped victims of catastrophic injuries stand up to powerful corporations and secure millions in settlements and jury awards.
You should not have to struggle with the consequences of your catastrophic injury on your own. Contact our Chicago personal injury law office at (312) 726-1616 to find out how we can help you make the most of your fight for compensation. Your first consultation is free.
How Zayed Law Offices Can Help If You’ve Suffered a Catastrophic Injury in Chicago, IL
When an injury is catastrophic, it fundamentally changes many aspects of your life. As a result, it can be incredibly painful and expensive. When someone else is responsible for causing your catastrophic injury, they must be held accountable. Unfortunately, the path to a successful financial recovery can be filled with many challenges.
Insurance companies will work hard to downplay your injury and limit its impact on your life. At-fault parties won’t rush to admit fault. Claims of shared fault may be raised, which could directly impact your ability to get the money you need.
Make life easier and increase the odds of a successful outcome by turning to our experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers for help.
We’re nationally-acclaimed Illinois litigators with a demonstrated track record of success. When you hire our personal injury law firm, you send a clear message that you won’t be settling for a penny less than your catastrophic injury case is worth.
Focus on recovering, and let us handle the rest.
- Thoroughly investigate the accident or act of negligence that caused your catastrophic injury
- Consult medical professionals, rehabilitation specialists, and other expert witnesses
- Gather evidence that can be used to prove liability and support a fair valuation of your catastrophic injury case
- Handle settlement negotiations with the at-fault party and/or insurance company on your behalf
- Reject unreasonably low offers and bring your catastrophic injury lawsuit to trial, if necessary
There’s no risk in asking for our help. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you only pay if we win compensation for your catastrophic injury case.
Call our Chicago law office to get started and set up a free consultation today.
What Makes an Injury Catastrophic?
An injury can be classified as catastrophic when it fundamentally changes the way you have to live your life. A catastrophic injury can be temporary or permanent in nature. However, the consequences must be severe and have a direct impact on your ability to live your life normally.
Some expected consequences and impacts of catastrophic injuries include:
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Limited mobility
- Loss of motor function
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Permanent disfigurement
- Respiratory failure
- Cardiovascular failure
While any injury has the potential to be catastrophic, these fall into the category most often:
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Severe burns
- Broken bones
- Complete or partial amputation
It is important to seek immediate medical attention if you have suffered a potentially-catastrophic injury in a Chicago accident. Prompt treatment can help to limit the risk of complications or death.
What Causes Catastrophic Injuries in Chicago?
Catastrophic injuries can result from any violent or traumatic accident.
At Zayed Law Offices, our attorneys represent clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Bus accidents
- Boating accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Birth injury
- Defective products
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from heights
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Boating accidents
The stakes are high when you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury. You’ll want experience on your side as you fight for the compensation you deserve. Put ours to work for your benefit. Call our Chicago catastrophic injury attorneys for help today.
How Much Is My Chicago Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
There is no standard payout or settlement in catastrophic injury lawsuits. There are simply too many factors that can influence what a particular case might be worth.
Important considerations will include:
- The specific type of catastrophic injury you’ve suffered
- The part of your body affected by the catastrophic injury
- Whether your catastrophic injury will do permanent damage
- Changes in your earning capacity
- The need for personal care assistance or support
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- The emotional and psychological impact of your catastrophic injury on your life
- Shared responsibility for the accident that caused your catastrophic trauma
One of the most important considerations will be the type of catastrophic injury you’ve suffered.
Here’s a brief overview of the average costs for treatment and care associated with some common catastrophic injuries:
- High tetraplegia spinal cord injury: $1.064 million the first year, $184,000 in subsequent years
- Low tetraplegia spinal cord injury: $769,000 the first year, $113,000 in subsequent years
- Paraplegia: $518,000 the first year, $68,000 in subsequent years
- Incomplete motor function: $347,000 the first year, $42,000 in subsequent years
- Traumatic brain injury: $85,000 to $3 million over the course of a lifetime
- Burn injury: $88,218 throughout life
- Amputation: $509,000 over the course of a lifetime
These figures focus primarily on the costs of medical treatment and living assistance. They don’t take into account other consequences of catastrophic injuries, such as pain and suffering, lost wages, or reduced quality of life.
Make the most of your catastrophic injury case by enlisting the help of an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Chicago. At Zayed Law Offices, our team is always here to help - 24/7/365.
How Long Do I Have To File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Illinois?
In Illinois, you’ll typically have two years to file a catastrophic injury lawsuit.
This applies to non-fatal personal injury cases and wrongful death claims.
The deadline has very few exceptions. So, it is critically important to file your claim on time. Once the statute of limitations runs out, you’ll lose the ability to demand the financial justice you deserve.
What Types of Damages Can I Get In a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit?
When you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury due to another’s negligence or wrongful actions, you can pursue compensatory damages in a personal injury lawsuit.
Compensatory damages include:
- Economic damages, intended to offset the high financial costs and losses associated with a catastrophic injury, and
- Non-economic damages, intended to make up for the more subjective losses and suffering you experience as a victim.
Through a successful claim, you can potentially recover money for:
- Current medical bills related to hospitalization, surgery, medication, medical devices, and treatment
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages and earnings
- Property damage
- Nursing care
- Funeral expenses if a catastrophic injury is fatal
- Pain and suffering
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages can also be awarded if there’s compelling evidence of a defendant’s intentionally harmful or grossly negligent conduct.
Count on Zayed Law Offices to help you secure the maximum financial award to which you’re entitled under Illinois state law.
Can Shared Fault Impact My Catastrophic Injury Settlement in Illinois?
Yes. Since Illinois has a modified comparative negligence system in place, your negligence will directly impact your ability to recover compensation for a catastrophic injury.
Under the state’s law:
- Damages are prohibited if you are 51 percent or more responsible for your injury
- Damages are reduced if you are 50 percent or less responsible for your injury
Let’s say you’re 30 percent responsible for a recent Chicago car accident that inflicted a catastrophic injury. If your damages are valued at $1,000,000, you’ll be entitled to a maximum payout of $700,000. If you were assigned 60 percent fault, you would not be entitled to a third-party financial recovery at all.
Expect the at-fault party (and their insurance company) to try to blame you (at least in part) for your catastrophic injury. The more liability you share, the less they’ll have to pay for your resulting costs and suffering.
You can protect yourself from these (often baseless) claims of shared fault by enlisting the help of our skilled catastrophic injury attorneys in Chicago. We’ll be ready to fight for you and limit the potential impact of these claims.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Someone else caused you to suffer a catastrophic injury. They should be held accountable. Zayed Law Offices can help you make the most of your fight for compensation.
Call our Chicago catastrophic injury lawyers today to set up a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We’re here to listen to your story, explain your legal options, and help you put a plan into action to get the money you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL