Were you or a loved one a victim of a medical error in Chicago, Illinois? Medical mistakes can be extremely dangerous. An experienced Chicago medical malpractice lawyer at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help you determine whether you have a valid injury claim. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have decades of combined experience helping clients who were harmed by trusted medical providers. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars for clients who have suffered a brain injury, Chicago spinal cord injury case, catastrophic injury, Chicago wrongful death case, or any other type of injury.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Chicago
Medical errors can impact every aspect of the victim’s life. You may be struggling with a worsened underlying condition, reduced life expectancy, and diminished quality of life. To make matters worse, many victims start to see the bills pile up quickly. You deserve fair compensation.
Unfortunately, you can’t always count on negligent doctors to admit they made a mistake. Their defense lawyers and insurance companies might even pressure them into denying responsibility. An experienced Chicago personal injury attorney can help you fight for the money you need and deserve.
When you trust Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys to handle your legal representation, our team will:
- Carefully investigate and collect evidence to prove your case
- Determine who is legally liable for paying your damages
- Enlist the help of respected medical experts who can establish your right to compensation
- Handle all negotiations, communications, and paperwork
- Calculate the fair value of your injury claim
Without the help of a Chicago personal injury lawyer, it’s possible that your case could be dismissed before you even get a chance to advocate for compensation. To learn more about this area of law and how a lawyer can help you, contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Statistics on Medical Malpractice in the U.S.
Medical malpractice is a leading cause of death in the United States. We trust doctors, nurses, and healthcare professionals when our health is the most vulnerable. It’s no surprise that when a doctor makes a serious error, the results can be devastating for the patient.
Do I Have a Valid Medical Malpractice Claim?
A claim can arise from:
When physicians, nurses, technicians, or any other hospital personnel provide substandard care, they can be held accountable for their malpractice.
If you’ve been hurt, our Chicago hospital malpractice lawyers know how to obtain the financial recovery you need for your medical costs and suffering.
A mistake made during surgery can substantially worsen an already frightening experience. These mistakes should never occur, and surgeons who commit them should be held liable.
Our Chicago surgical error attorneys will work to prove your case and recover the compensation you deserve.
Emergency Room Malpractice
ERs are often chaotic and full of overworked doctors, nurses, and personnel. Still, these medical providers owe a specific duty to people admitted into their care.
If you suffered harm, our Chicago emergency room malpractice lawyers can hold the negligent parties financially responsible.
A medication error can range from administering the wrong prescription to giving the incorrect dosage. These errors can lead to substantial harm and even death.
Our Chicago medication error attorneys can help you prove that this preventable mistake caused your damages.
A cancer misdiagnosis can lead to a worsened condition or reduced life expectancy. You may require more aggressive treatment, leading to substantial medical expenses.
Our Chicago cancer misdiagnosis lawyers will help you prove that your physician’s negligence caused additional medical bills and suffering.
A doctor or healthcare provider commits medical malpractice when they provide substandard care. Not all mistakes give patients the right to file a lawsuit. However, some mistakes are so serious that they should never happen.
The relevant question is: did you receive the level of care that a reasonable medical professional would have provided in your case? If the answer is no, you may have a valid medical malpractice case.
Medical mistakes can happen at any stage of your medical treatment.
At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, we handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including those involving:
- Prescription drug errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Nursing negligence
- Radiology errors
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Defective medical devices
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Birth injuries
- Failure to diagnose a disease
If you suspect you were a victim of a medical error, contact our law firm right away. We’ll help you find out what happened and who was responsible
How Much Is My Chicago Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
All personal injury cases are unique. While they have common characteristics, the unique facts and circumstances of your case will impact your case value.
Some of the most important considerations include:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The nature of the harm you have suffered
- The severity of the error and the nature of the at-fault party’s acts
- How the mistake impacts your work, lifestyle, and quality of life
- Whether you will ever make a full recovery
- The types of medical care you will need because of the mistake
- Your physical and psychological suffering
- How the error impacts your family’s future
Medical errors that result in serious life changes tend to be worth the most. The greater the impact on the victim, the higher the settlement or verdict.
You can count on our lawyers to evaluate all of the details when we’re assessing your case value. We’ll even bring in respected experts who can testify about your difficult-to-value losses.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover if I Was a Victim of Medical Malpractice in Chicago?
Victims of medical negligence can seek compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Under Illinois law, courts cannot award punitive damages in medical malpractice cases.
Economic damages are your financial costs, such as:
- Past medical expenses
- Additional medical bills you incur because of the mistake
- Lost wages while you recover
- Reduced earning capacity if you suffer a long-term impairment
- Specialized therapies
- Nursing care
- In-home assistance
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Your non-economic damages may involve:
- Emotional distress
- Reduced life expectancy
- Severe depression
- Anxiety disorders
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Damage to personal relationships
- Loss of consortium in wrongful death cases
A simple medical error can change your life forever. Our medical malpractice lawyers in Chicago are here to help you recover the full compensation you deserve. To learn more about the types of damages that may be available in your case, call for a free case review today.
What Are the Leading Causes of Medical Malpractice in Chicago, Illinois?
Medical malpractice happens for many different reasons. As the patient, you might not know precisely why you were harmed. Our lawyers are here to help you get to the bottom of it.
While all cases are different, some of the most common causes of medical errors include:
- Misinterpreting lab results
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Communication and charting errors
- Misidentifying a patient
- Failure to take a full patient history
- Physician burnout
- Understaffing, which can lead to fatigued medical providers
- Distractions in the workplace
- Unsanitary conditions
- Failure to provide proper post-operative instruction and care
- Failure to properly monitor a patient
- Unqualified and untrained medical providers
- Adverse drug reactions
- Defective medical devices
Doctors and hospitals have teams of insurance companies and defense attorneys to protect them. You deserve a lawyer who will do the same for you. Contact Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys today to learn more about how our Chicago medical malpractice attorneys can help you prove your case.
How Do I Prove Medical Negligence if I Was Harmed Due to a Doctor’s Mistake in Chicago?
Doctors aren’t automatically liable for all bad outcomes. You must prove that someone else was responsible for your injuries to recover damages. Typically, that means you must prove that someone else was negligent.
In your average car accident case, that means establishing:
Cases involving medical malpractice are similar but slightly more complicated. Doctors and medical providers can never guarantee a positive outcome. They’re only responsible when they fail to provide the level of care that a reasonable, trained medical professional would have provided under the circumstances.
To establish medical negligence, you must prove:
- You were a patient, so the medical provider owed you a duty of care
- The medical standard of care that applied in your case
- The doctor deviated from that standard of care
- The deviation caused you to suffer some type of harm
- The types of damages you have suffered as a result
Our attorneys in Chicago have relationships with experts who can establish the standard of care that you should have received.
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim After a Medical Mistake in Illinois?
You have two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in Illinois. The two-year statute of limitations starts to run on the date the mistake occurred. If you don’t discover the error until later, you’ll generally have two years from the date you discovered or reasonably should have discovered the error.
However, you must file your lawsuit within four years of the mistake–regardless of when you discover that you were a victim of malpractice.
Contact a Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one were harmed because of a doctor’s mistake, contact Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys today. Your consultation with an experienced Chicago medical malpractice lawyer is always free of charge. We represent clients in Chicago and across Cook County. You can also see our latest updates on our Google site.
Additional Medical Malpractice Resources
- Medical Malpractice Statistics
- U.S. Department of Healthcare
- Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services
- Illinois Department of Public Health
Medical Malpractice Recent Blog Posts
- State Damage Caps In Medical Malpractice Cases
- I Received A Cancer Misdiagnosis. Is It Medical Malpractice?
- What Is the Average Payout for Medical Malpractice?
Chicago, IL Emergency Rooms & Hospitals
- University Health Systems – 155 N Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Ascension Illinois – 200 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Duly Health and Care – Behavioral & Mental Health – 111 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
- NM Hospital – 122 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated on Google.