Did you suffer injuries in a pedestrian accident in Chicago, Illinois? You might have legal recourse against the responsible party by filing a personal injury claim. If your claim is successful, you can recover compensation for your financial losses as well as for your pain and suffering. Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help you determine your best legal course of action beginning today.
We’re a highly-regarded personal injury law firm in the area. Our Chicago pedestrian accident lawyers have decades of experience in total, and we’ve secured tens of millions of dollars for our deserving clients since 2009, the year we were founded.
Our team also handles other types of cases, including Uber accidents, Chicago Lyft accidents, Chicago brain injury cases, catastrophic injuries, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, and more. We are passionate about standing up for the rights of accident victims and are confident that we can help you achieve a favorable outcome for your case.
How Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Chicago
Pedestrian accidents are among the most terrifying in personal injury law, especially if a motor vehicle is involved. Careless driving is a serious issue in Chicago, IL, and there’s little to nothing that a pedestrian can do to avoid the collision most of the time. One thing is for certain: you deserve full compensation that makes you whole again as best as possible after a pedestrian accident.
Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys is here to fight for you every step of the way. Our award-winning Chicago personal injury lawyers can exhaust every resource at our disposal toward your claim if you hire us. We don’t cut corners in the process of representing our clients; rather, we’ll treat you like family. Your future health and well-being matter to us, as does getting you justice through holding the responsible party accountable for their actions. We can help with your pedestrian accident case by:
- Investigating your accident so that we can formulate a plan of action
- Collecting all of the necessary evidence to prove your claim
- Apprising you of your case’s status and your legal options at all times
- Communicating and negotiating with the opposing party on your behalf
- Enlisting the assistance of experts as needed to strengthen your case
- Filing a lawsuit and bringing your claim to court if necessary
Ready to begin forming an attorney-client relationship or want more information about our legal services? Just give us a call today to schedule your free consultation.
How Often Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen in Illinois?
Pedestrian accidents happen more often than you might anticipate in the State of Illinois. The latest data from the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) indicates the following:
- There were 3,520 pedestrians injured in accidents in 2021 across the state
- These include 861 “A-injuries,” which are those that are relatively serious and incapacitating, as well as 215 fatalities
- The majority of pedestrian accidents took place in urban areas, with a total of 2,140
To put these pedestrian accident statistics in perspective, there are nearly 10 pedestrians injured every single day across the state, on average.
What Damages Can I Recover Through a Chicago Pedestrian Accident Claim?
Illinois personal injury law allows victims to recover both economic and non-economic damages. These “compensatory damages” reflect your financial bills and expenses as well as the other, less quantifiable aspects of the accident.
Economic damages include things like:
- Lost wages
- Current and future medical expenses
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Therapy, rehabilitation, and other related costs
- Decreased earning capacity
And examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of quality of life
There is also a third category of damages under state law called punitive damages. However, punitive damages require a stronger evidentiary showing and are only awarded in rare cases. Nonetheless, we’ll be sure to explore the option if it makes sense in your circumstance.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Chicago, IL
Pedestrian accidents can happen for a variety of reasons in Chicago, Illinois. But most often, they are caused by one or more of the following:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Poor visibility or weather conditions
- Drunk driving
- Drugged driving
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Aggressive driving
Our Chicago pedestrian accident attorneys understand the difficult time you and your loved ones are going through, and we want to be there to help to the best of our ability. Call today for a free case assessment.
What Is Negligence and What Does It Mean for My Chicago Pedestrian Accident Case?
Negligence is a legal term with a meaning close to “carelessness.” Most often, you will need to establish liability and win your case by proving that the at-fault party was negligent. There are four legal elements necessary to assert negligence liability:
- Duty of Care – This means showing that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care, such as the duty to obey the rules of the road.
- Breach of Duty – A driver may breach their duty of care by running a red light, for example.
- Causation – The opposing party must have caused the accident, both factually and proximately.
- Damages – You must have sustained harm as a result of the other party’s conduct.
Each element must be supported “by a preponderance of the evidence,” meaning enough evidence to show that each is more likely true than not. Learn more about the role negligence may play in your Chicago pedestrian accident case by calling today to schedule your free case evaluation.
How Much Is My Chicago Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
We’ll be able to let you know a rough estimate of how much your case is worth after we’ve spoken with you and learned about the facts involved. But until then, we can shed some light on the topic by mentioning the following factors that may have an influence on your case’s value:
- The severity of the injuries you have sustained
- Whether there is enough evidence to prove your claim
- The conditions of any insurance policies that may apply to the case
- How old you were at the time of the pedestrian accident
- Whether you will make a full recovery and will be able to return to work
- The nature of the incident and who the at-fault party is
If you hire our Chicago personal injury attorneys, we’ll undertake a thorough evaluation of what your case is worth – even hiring experts to help if necessary. From there, we will demand that you be compensated in full by the responsible party and won’t back down during the negotiation process.
We’ll Pursue Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrian accidents tend to involve especially serious injuries, such as the following:
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Chest injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Road rash
- Back injuries
- Leg injuries
- Organ damage
Whether or not your injuries are listed above, our legal team at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys can help you get the compensation you need to move forward. Get started today by scheduling your free initial consultation.
Can I Still Get Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for My Pedestrian Accident in Chicago, Illinois?
Yes, but only up to a specific point. Illinois operates under a modified comparative negligence law regarding this issue, and there is a 51% bar to recovery.
Under modified comparative negligence, you may be assigned a percentage of fault for the pedestrian accident. Assuming this percentage is not 51% or higher, you can still recover damages for your injuries. However, your compensation can be adjusted proportionately. For instance, sharing 40% of the blame means your damages can be reduced by 40%.
It’s quite likely that the opposing party will try to say that the accident was mostly your fault since doing so eliminate their liability for your injuries. However, if you have an experienced Chicago pedestrian accident lawyer on your side, you’ll be able to fight back against these allegations properly.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in Illinois?
A statute of limitations is a law that sets the deadline for filing lawsuits. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years. That means that by default, you will have two years from the date of your pedestrian accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
However, it’s important to note that there are exceptions to the statute of limitations. You will lose your right to pursue compensation if you file your lawsuit too late. As a result, we recommend contacting our law office to determine the appropriate deadline for your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Trusted Chicago Pedestrian Accident Attorney
A pedestrian accident can have a devastating impact on you and your family. The responsible party shouldn’t get away with what they’ve done and should be held liable for every injury and loss they’ve caused you to sustain.
Contact Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys today to set up your free consultation with one of our qualified Chicago pedestrian accident attorneys. We work on a contingency fee basis, so hiring us costs you nothing upfront. Further, we only get paid if we obtain compensation for you.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in Chicago, IL
Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys
10 S La Salle St STE 1230
Chicago, IL 60603
Monday: Open 24 hours
Tuesday: Open 24 hours
Wednesday: Open 24 hours
Thursday: Open 24 hours
Friday: Open 24 hours
Saturday: Open 24 hours
Sunday: Open 24 hours
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Bone Fracture Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Civil Rights Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Events Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Fire and Explosion Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injuries Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Whiplash Injury Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Chicago, IL