Being involved in a semi-truck accident can significantly alter your life. You may suffer catastrophic injuries that negatively affect your health and ability to earn a living.
If you’ve been injured in a collision caused by a negligent trucker in Chicago, IL, you deserve to be compensated for the full extent of your losses. A skilled Chicago personal injury lawyer at Zayed Law Offices will diligently pursue compensation for your medical expenses, pain, lost income, and trauma.
Our dedicated team of attorneys has decades of combined experience helping injury victims seek justice after devastating accidents. We’ve acquired tens of millions of dollars for our clients throughout Illinois, and we’re nationally recognized for our exceptional legal services.
Contact our Chicago personal injury law office at (312) 726-1616 to schedule a free case evaluation with our experienced Chicago truck accident lawyers. We’ll provide an honest assessment and explain your options during a no-pressure consultation.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Truck Accident in Chicago, IL
Commercial truck accident cases are often complex. Multiple defendants and multi-million-dollar insurance policies may be involved, and knowledge of state and federal trucking regulations is necessary. Additionally, it takes considerable effort and time to gather evidence proving liability and the value of your economic and non-economic damages.
Our Chicago personal injury attorneys will take on your case and handle every aspect, giving you time to focus on your health and well-being. We’ll ensure you receive the maximum compensation you deserve under Illinois law.
When you hire Zayed Law Offices for help after a semi-truck accident in Chicago, Illinois, we’ll:
- Thoroughly investigate the truck crash and monitor any state or federal investigations
- Collect evidence and work with leading experts as necessary to prove your case
- Calculate all of your damages – including future losses
- Negotiate with trucking companies and insurers for a full and fair settlement
- Take your case to court in Cook County and argue on your behalf at trial if we cannot settle for an amount you deserve
The attorneys at Zayed Law Offices offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis. That means there are no upfront costs to discuss your case with and retain an experienced truck accident attorney in Chicago, IL. Call today to learn more.
How Common Are Semi-Truck Accidents in Illinois?
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), there were 9,966 large truck accidents in 2020. 117 proved to be fatal, and 1,731 led to injuries.
There was an increase in these crashes in 2021. IDOT reported 12,040 tractor-trailer crashes throughout the state. 117 of those accidents were fatal, and 1,946 caused injuries.
In 2021, car accidents involving semi-trucks accounted for 3.8% of the total statewide crashes but 8.5% of fatal collisions.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Chicago?
Most tractor-trailer accidents result from driver error and negligence.
Truckers must meet various requirements to receive and maintain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in Illinois. However, they often drive long hours, resulting in fatigue and impatience. And, of course, other drivers can contribute to motor vehicle accidents involving commercial trucks.
Common causes of Chicago tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting, looking at a GPS, or rubbernecking
- Speeding or traveling too fast for current conditions
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Driving in a truck’s blind spot
- Unsafe lane changes or turns
- Intoxicated driving (DUI)
- Driver inexperience
- Violations of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) hours of service regulations
- Reckless driving
- Overloaded trailers
- Disregarding traffic signals and signs
- Failure to inspect or maintain the truck
Some truck collisions result from other things, such as road defects or hazards. Additionally, defective truck components – like brake failure or tire defects – can lead to accidents. It’s essential to know what caused the 18-wheeler accident to identify the appropriate at-fault party.
Who Could Be Liable for a Semi-Truck Accident in Chicago?
Sometimes, truck accidents have various contributing factors, meaning multiple parties can share faults. Additionally, trucking companies are often vicariously liable for their employed truckers’ negligent actions.
The following parties could potentially share liability for a tractor-trailer accident in Chicago:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- The driver of a passenger vehicle
- Manufacturer of defective truck parts or equipment
- Shipping company
- Cargo loaders
- Truck maintenance company
Our semi-truck accident lawyers in Chicago will investigate the crash to identify what caused it and every potentially responsible party.
How Do I Prove My Chicago Truck Accident Claim?
You must typically prove that the at-fault individual was negligent, meaning you’ll need evidence showing:
- They owed you a duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach directly caused the truck crash
- You sustained damages
The following types of evidence will help prove your Illinois truck accident case:
- Accident report
- Eyewitness statements
- Black box data
- Surveillance footage
- Photos and videos of the truck accident scene
- Medical records
- Opinions from expert witnesses, such as accident reconstructionists
We’ll locate the evidence needed to prove every element of your claim.
What Is My Chicago Truck Accident Case Worth?
Every truck accident claim and the victim is unique. The injuries you sustain may completely differ from those of another person in a similar collision. Accordingly, each personal injury case must be evaluated based on its specific facts.
When our Chicago semi-truck accident attorneys are calculating your damages, we’ll consider the following:
- The value of your medical bills and out-of-pocket costs
- The severity of your injuries and all the ways they impact your everyday life
- Your lost wages and whether you can continue working in the same capacity as before the truck collision
- The physical and emotional effects you’ve experienced because of the crash
- Whether you share any blame for the truck wreck
- Whether your injuries permanently disable, impair, or disfigure you
We may evaluate other factors based on the circumstances of your situation. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Chicago for a free consultation to discuss your truck accident.
What Damages Are Available To Truck Accident Victims in Chicago?
Illinois truck accident victims may be entitled to reimbursement for the financial expenses they incur due to the crash and their injuries. These are known as economic damages. They can also pursue non-economic damages, which account for the personal losses stemming from the accident.
Economic damages in a Chicago truck accident claim may include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs for follow-ups and treatment
- Out-of-pocket expenses for things like travel, medications, and childcare
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Lost income and job benefits
- Diminished earning potential
Your non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional trauma
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Chronic pain
The Chicago semi-truck accident lawyers at Zayed Law Offices will aggressively pursue compensation for these and any other damages you’ve sustained.
Can I Recover Compensation If I Share Blame for a Truck Accident in Illinois?
Illinois implements a modified comparative negligence system. In a personal injury claim, each party who shares fault for an accident is assigned a percentage of liability – including the plaintiff (injured victim).
If your percentage of responsibility exceeds 50%, you’re barred from financial recovery from the other party. As long as your apportioned negligence is 50% or less, you’ll be entitled to compensation, but it’ll be reduced proportionately.
For example, a court finds that you were 30% at fault for a truck crash because you were speeding. Your damages would be reduced by 30%, meaning you can take home 70% of your awarded damages.
Insurance companies and trucking corporations know this rule. They may try to use it to reduce your payout. If you’re being unfairly blamed for a trucking accident, call our personal injury attorneys in Chicago for help.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Large commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded, so accidents often leave victims severely injured. Unfortunately, passenger vehicle occupants usually sustain the most catastrophic injuries.
Chicago truck accident victims may sustain:
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ injuries
- Back injuries
- Paralysis and spinal cord damage
- Soft tissue injuries
We know that victims can also endure mental trauma after a big rig accident. Our experienced truck accident lawyers in Chicago will fight for compensation for your physical and emotional injuries.
How Long Do I Have To File a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Illinois?
Each state implements a statute of limitations, a strict deadline you must adhere to. If you file a personal injury lawsuit after the applicable time limit, the court will dismiss your case, preventing you from recovering compensation from the at-fault party.
Under the Illinois statute of limitations, you typically have two years from the truck accident date to file a lawsuit. If it was a fatal truck crash, you must file a wrongful death lawsuit within two years of your family member’s date of death.
There may be exceptions in some cases. Contact our semi-truck accident attorneys in Chicago to ensure you meet the filing deadline.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Chicago Truck Accident Lawyers
Were you injured in a big rig accident in Chicago, IL? If it resulted from another individual’s carelessness, the Chicago truck accident attorneys at Zayed Law Offices can help.
Call our personal injury law firm today to schedule a free case assessment. We’ll discuss your truck crash and potential sources of compensation.
Additional Local Resources
Chicago, IL Emergency Rooms & Hospitals
- University Health Systems - 155 N Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Ascension Illinois - 200 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
- Duly Health and Care - Behavioral & Mental Health - 111 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
- NM Hospital - 122 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60602
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated on Google.