When a bicyclist and a motor vehicle collide, the cyclist is likely to be the person who sustains the most traumatic injuries. A bicycle crash can change your life forever. Our Joliet bicycle accident lawyers at Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys will work with you to hold the at-fault party responsible for your injuries and damages.
Our legal team has decades of experience handling personal injury cases. We have a 99% success rate and have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients since opening our law firm in 2009. Our lawyers are fierce trial attorneys and skilled negotiators who are dedicated to standing up for the rights of injured victims and their families.
How Our Joliet Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
When pursuing a bicycle accident claim, you want top-rated Illinois personal injury lawyers on your side. At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, our lawyers have appeared on major news networks. We are also recognized for our legal services by national legal organizations, including The National Trial Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers.
We strive to provide exceptional legal services and personalized customer care. Our commitment to our clients has earned us top ratings on Avvo. We understand what is at stake when you hire an attorney, so we do not take your trust in us lightly.
When you hire our award-winning legal team, we’ll handle all aspects of your bicycle accident case, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation to determine how your bicycle accident occurred
- Identifying all parties who contributed to the cause of the bicycle crash
- Gathering evidence proving fault and liability, including working with leading experts when necessary to strengthen the evidence in your case
- Determining how much your bicycle accident case is worth by carefully documenting your damages
- Verifying insurance coverage, filing insurance claims, and aggressively negotiating personal injury settlements that compensate you fairly for your damages
- Filing a lawsuit and taking your case before a jury if the other parties refuse to negotiate in good faith
At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, our lawyers accept bicycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis. Therefore, hiring a Joliet bicycle accident attorney does not cost you any money upfront. Instead, we receive payment for our legal services after we win your case.
Call now for a free case evaluation with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Joliet, Illinois. You do not have to face this situation on your own. We are here to help.
Bicyclists Can Sustain Catastrophic Injuries in a Bicycle Accident
When a vehicle hits a bicycle, the rider has very little protection from the impact. Even when a rider wears a bicycle helmet and protective gear, the risk of catastrophic injuries remains high.
At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, our lawyers help bicyclists seek compensation for all types of injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Chest injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Fractures and broken bones
- Lacerations and road rash
- Soft tissue injuries
- Facial and dental injuries
- Back injuries
- Nerve damage
Some bicycle accident injuries can cause permanent impairments and disabilities. In the worst cases, bicyclists die because of their injuries. In those cases, we help families file wrongful death claims against the party who caused their loved one’s death.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Joliet, Illinois
Negligence is one of the most common factors in Joliet bicycle accidents.
Examples of factors that could contribute to the cause of a bicycle accident include, but are not limited to:
- Distracted driving or cycling
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Dooring (opening a car door in front of a cyclist)
- Inexperienced drivers
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Driving in bicycle lanes
- Passing a bicycle too closely
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Tailgating (following too closely)
- Drowsy and fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Improper U-turns and lane changes
In addition to negligence, road conditions and weather conditions can contribute to the cause of a bicycle crash. Also, defective cars and bicycles, malfunctioning traffic signals, and poorly designed intersections and roads can contribute to the cause of a bicycle accident.
A bicyclist’s negligence can also lead to the cause of an accident. For example, the rider fails to use designated bicycle lanes or does not use reflectors and lights on their bicycle. The rider may be distracted or riding a bicycle under the influence.
Our Joliet bicycle accident attorneys will analyze the factors that led to your crash. Identifying the factors that led to the accident helps identify the parties responsible for your damages.
How Do I Prove Negligence and Liability for a Joliet Bicycle Accident?
Illinois is an at-fault state for personal injury claims. You have the burden of proving the legal elements of negligence to hold the other party liable for your injuries and damages.
Our lawyers will investigate your case and gather evidence proving the legal elements of negligence. Those elements are:
- The motorist who caused your bicycle accident owed you a duty of care;
- The motorist breached that duty of care because of their actions or failure to act;
- The breach of duty by the motorist was a direct and proximate cause of the bicycle accident; and,
- You incurred financial damages and injuries because of the motorist’s actions.
Evidence in a bicycle accident case can include eyewitness testimony and physical evidence from the accident scene. It could also include traffic camera footage and video of the accident from other sources. Our attorneys may also retain accident reconstructionists and other expert witnesses to assist in the investigation and preparation of evidence.
What Is My Joliet Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The amount you receive in a bicycle accident claim depends on the facts of the case. Our Joliet personal injury attorneys will analyze each factor in your case to determine how it impacts the value of damages.
Factors that affect how much you can receive in a personal injury claim include:
- Whether you are partially to blame for causing the bicycle accident
- The strength of your evidence against the other party
- The parties involved in your case
- The type of injuries you sustained and the medical treatments you experienced
- The duration of your recovery period
- Your appearance before and after the bicycle accident
- Whether you can return to work or earn an income
- The extent of permanent impairments and disabilities
- The amount of insurance coverage available
Some factors increase how much your case is worth, but other factors decrease the value of damages. Our Joliet bicycle accident lawyers will work to maximize your recovery for damages by carefully building a strategy that utilizes the factors in your favor.
What Damages Can I Receive in a Bicycle Accident Claim in Joliet, Illinois?
Bicycle accidents can cause significant and life-long financial, emotional, and physical damages. Illinois personal injury laws provide compensatory damages for injured victims. These damages include economic and non-economic losses.
Examples of the damages you could receive in a Joliet bicycle accident case include, but are not limited to:
- The cost of your medical treatment and rehabilitative therapy, including future medical bills
- Physical pain and suffering
- Your loss of earnings and income, including future lost wages and reductions in earning capacity
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including costs of personal care and household services
- Loss of enjoyment of life and quality of life
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
- Scarring and disfigurement
Under very specific circumstances, Illinois law permits awarding punitive damages in a personal injury claim. The jury must find that the at-fault party’s conduct met the standard for “punishment” by awarding punitive damages. At Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys, our legal team will analyze all aspects of your case to determine your damages and how to maximize your recovery.
Can I Receive Compensation if I’m Partially to Blame for a Bicycle Crash in Illinois?
Illinois operates under a modified comparative negligence standard for personal injury claims, including bicycle accident cases. Being partially at fault for causing your bicycle accident does not bar you from receiving compensation for damages unless you are more than 50% to blame. In that case, your claim for damages could be denied.
However, if you are 50% or less to blame, your compensation is reduced by your level of fault. Therefore, if a jury decided you were 30% at fault for the bicycle accident, you could receive 70% of the compensation awarded for damages.
Insurance adjusters can be tricky when asking you questions about the accident. They try to get you to say something that could be used to allege you are to blame for causing the accident. Instead of talking to the insurance company directly, allow our Joliet bicycle accident lawyers to handle communications with the company for you.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Illinois?
The Illinois statute of limitations restricts the time you have to file a lawsuit after a bicycle accident. If you do not file a lawsuit before the deadline, you could lose your right to pursue a claim in court. A judge may dismiss the case even though you have a valid claim for damages.
The deadline for filing lawsuits in most negligence-based bicycle accident cases is two years from the accident date. However, there could be one or more exceptions that apply in your case that could change the deadline.
We encourage you to contact our office as soon as possible to discuss your case with an attorney. Prompt legal advice is the best way to protect your right to pursue a personal injury claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Joliet Bicycle Accident Lawyers
You deserve fair and just compensation after a bicycle accident caused by a negligent driver. Unfortunately, neither the at-fault driver nor the insurance company cares about fairness and justice.
Call Zayed Law Offices Personal Injury Attorneys today to request a free case review with an experienced Joliet bicycle accident attorney. Our legal team is here to help you when you need a trusted legal advocate in your corner.