Rockford Wrongful Death Lawyer
many millions already recovered
Connect with one of our experienced trial attorneys
When someone suffers an injury in a car accident, the first thing they are concerned about is how long they may be forced to stay
The short answer is “No.” The insurance company’s first offer is almost always a lowball offer—if they make an offer. Whether you have a medical
Our client was mislead into investing in a commodities fraud program run by members of his church.
Zayed Law Offices secured a worthy settlement for a young client after a motor vehicle accident caused by a Cook County Sheriff.
At Zayed Law Offices, we know that no amount of money can replace your loved one or take away your grief. However, an unexpected death shouldn’t leave you with insurmountable debt or an uncertain future.
A wrongful death lawsuit can help you recover money to:
- Pay off any medical bills incurred due to your loved one’s fatal injuries
- Cover reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Compensate you for any pain and suffering that the deceased experienced before their death
- Account for any income that your loved one would have earned
A wrongful death settlement or lawsuit can provide surviving family members with a secure future and often provides a sense of closure and justice. These types of lawsuits also hold the negligent party responsible for their actions. Contact our Rockford wrongful death attorneys to learn more.
Table of Contents
Who can file a wrongful death claim in Rockford?
Under the Illinois Wrongful Death Act (740 ILCS 180), plaintiffs must meet three requirements:
- The deceased passed away due to another party’s “wrongful act, neglect or default.”
- The money recovered must “be for the exclusive benefit of the surviving spouse and next of kin.”
- Lastly, surviving family members cannot pursue a wrongful death lawsuit “if the decedent had brought a cause of action with respect to the same underlying incident or occurrence which was settled or on which judgment was rendered.”
We know that the state’s wrongful death laws can seem complex. The best way to know if you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim is to speak with one of our Rockford attorneys.
Statute of Limitations for Rockford Wrongful Death Claims
If you want to pursue a wrongful death settlement, you have a limited amount of time to do so. According to the Illinois Wrongful Death Act, you could have as little as two years to take legal action.
This may seem like a long time, but there is no reason to wait to speak with one of our lawyers. If necessary, it’s easier to conduct an investigation, gather evidence, and interview witnesses right away. And, the sooner you file a legal claim, the sooner you can receive any possible compensation.
How much is the average Rockford wrongful death settlement?
Prospective clients often want to know how much the average Rockford wrongful death settlement is. However, calculating an average amount wouldn’t help.
- A wrongful death settlement can take into account the deceased’s income, which varies greatly.
- A settlement also covers any medical costs related to the fatal injury or illness. These costs vary, and in some situations, may not apply.
At Zayed Law Offices, we are proud to share many of our case results, so you can have a ballpark estimate of what you could receive. But only after meeting with you and learning the specifics of your case can we tell you an amount you might expect.
What does a wrongful death settlement pay for?
A wrongful death payout covers:
- Any medical bills that the deceased incurred as a result of their fatal illness or injury
- Lost income that the deceased would have earned, had they survived
- Reasonable cremation and burial expenses
- In some cases, expenses related to tasks that the family now has to pay others to perform, such as childcare or household repairs
The deceased individual’s age, income, dependents, and other factors play a role when we calculate an adequate settlement amount.
How much does it cost to file a wrongful death lawsuit?
The attorneys at Zayed Law Offices have a contingency fee agreement for wrongful death cases. That allows us to pursue justice on your behalf without you suffering a financial burden or requiring an up-front payment. We can fully explain our fees at your free, no-obligation consultation.
Do you have to go to court to win a wrongful death settlement in Rockford?
Many wrongful death lawsuits do successfully settle without a trial. However, we are not a “settlement only” law firm. If we can maximize your compensation by going to court, we are prepared to do so.
In fact, we handle every case as if it will go to trial. Our wrongful death attorneys are prepared to go in front of a judge or jury at any time.
Can I pursue a Rockford wrongful death settlement without an attorney?
You certainly could attempt to pursue a wrongful death settlement on your own. But without legal representation, you will likely find that the process is overwhelming and confusing.
The insurance company (or liable party) could take advantage of your grief and lack of legal representation. If you don’t have a lawyer to fight for you, you may be told that you don’t have a case and aren’t owed anything.
Our law firm has the resources, experience, and manpower to build a strong case. When necessary, we can call on experts to provide testimony and insight. The wrongful death attorneys at Zayed Law Offices will work to maximize your compensation.
Wrongful Death Causes
Wrongful deaths often occur because of:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Dog bites/animal attacks
One thing that these situations all have in common is that another party’s negligence caused your loved one’s death.
Fatal Motor Vehicle Accidents: Rockford’s ‘Worst Roads’
Issues like potholes, a lack of crosswalks, and crowded streets can cause tragic accidents.
The Rockford Register Star recently identified several of the city’s worst roads:
- The Whitman Interchange
- Charles Street
- A portion of Harrison Avenue, from the Rock River to Kishwaukee Street
- Madison Street
- The sidewalk on 15th Avenue from the Rock River to 11th Street
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, the state sees anywhere from 1,000 to 1,300 motor vehicle-related fatalities each year. And while you might expect these accidents to occur on I-90 or I-39, most fatalities happen on city streets or state/U.S. routes.
Rockford Medical Malpractice Wrongful Death Lawsuits
When doctors treat patients, they must provide what is called a “standard of care.” The term “standard of care” describes the treatment that a doctor with the same level of experience and education would be expected to provide in that particular situation.
Medical malpractice wrongful death happens when:
- Medical treatment falls below the standard of care; and
- That inadequate treatment caused the patient’s death.
Both the doctor and the medical facility can be held accountable in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Rockford, Illinois Area Hospitals
Zayed Law Offices is prepared to represent you in a wrongful death lawsuit against some of the area’s major hospitals, including:
- Javon Bea Hospital
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center
- SwedishAmerican Hospital
- Mercyhealth Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Medical malpractice wrongful death can occur not just through a careless action, but also through inaction:
- Delayed treatment after a failure to diagnose a condition like cancer
- Preventable disease progression caused by a wrong diagnosis
- Surgical errors, such as an instrument left inside the body or damage to vital organs
- Prescription medication errors
- Ignoring allergies and contraindications
If your loved one died due to medical malpractice, please reach out to our wrongful death attorneys.
Rockford Premises Liability Wrongful Death Cases
Individuals and entities that own property in Rockford must keep their premises safe. That responsibility extends to private homeowners, municipalities, and businesses.
Premises liability wrongful death cases can occur due to:
- Blocked emergency exits
- Cluttered aisles and walkways
- Icy sidewalks
- Wet floors
- Unstable guard rails, fencing, and barricades
- Broken stairways
- Ripped carpeting
- Malfunctioning elevators or escalators
- Uncovered and unfenced swimming pools
Anyone who shops at Woodman’s Market or attends a hockey game at BMO Harris Bank Center expects a safe environment. Zayed Law Offices has the resources and manpower to bring wrongful death lawsuits against large corporations and businesses.
Product Liability Wrongful Death Claims in Rockford
There are laws in place that govern the safety of consumer products, including everything from automobiles to prescription drugs.
When these standards are not met, fatal injuries and accidents can occur due to:
- Faulty brakes in a car, truck, or motorcycle
- Malfunctioning home appliances
- Failure to warn consumers about the associated risks of cancer or other illnesses
- Unsafe substances that enter the food supply
If you lost a loved one due to product liability, the attorneys at Zayed Law Offices can pursue justice on your behalf.
Fatal Rockford Dog Bite Injuries
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), Illinois is one of the top 10 states to report dog bites. Multiple people may be responsible for a fatal animal attack, including the dog owner, property owner, landlord, or dog sitter.
Fatal animal attacks can happen when:
- Dog owners allow their pets to roam freely
- Animals escape from fences or other barriers that need repair
- Owners misjudge how their pet will react in a crowd or around young children
The AVMA reports that almost half of all fatal dog bite victims in the U.S. are younger than 16. When a minor has died from their dog bite injuries, their parents or legal guardians can pursue justice in the form of a wrongful death lawsuit.
Rockford Wrongful Death FAQs
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
When an adult dies, the surviving spouse and/or children can pursue a wrongful death settlement. If the deceased individual did not have a spouse or children, their parents or other blood relatives may be eligible. When a child passes away, the surviving parents/guardians can pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party.
According to the Illinois Wrongful Death Act, the person’s death must have been caused by another party’s “wrongful act, neglect or default.” In other words, if the deceased had survived, they would have been eligible to pursue a personal injury lawsuit.
If you have any questions about your eligibility to file a Rockford wrongful death claim, please reach out to our office. We do not charge for an initial consultation, and you are under no obligation to hire our law firm.
How do I choose a Rockford wrongful death attorney?
There is no shortage of wrongful death law firms that are eager to take on your case. However, not all attorneys are equipped or experienced enough to pursue maximum compensation for you.
When you talk to a prospective Rockford wrongful death lawyer, consider asking these questions:
- How much experience do you have with cases similar to mine?
- What results have you achieved for your past clients?
- Has your firm earned any awards or industry recognition?
- Will you handle my case as if it is going to trial?
- How much are your fees, and when are they due?
- How much do I owe if I lose my wrongful death case?
Many law firms that take on wrongful death lawsuits offer a free consultation. You should take advantage of this meeting to ask questions, so you can choose the lawyer that is right for you.
When should I file a wrongful death lawsuit?
We know that when a loved one passes away, a lawsuit may be the last thing on your mind. And, you may not even have all of the facts about their death yet. But it’s in your best interest to speak with an attorney as soon as possible.
In many circumstances, Illinois law only allows you two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. There are a few exceptions, but once the allotted time frame is up, you usually lose your right to pursue compensation.
3 Reasons to Contact Zayed Law Offices
Our Rockford wrongful death lawyers are here to answer your questions and seek justice for you.
Zayed Law Offices stands apart from other law firms in three distinct ways:
- As part of our mission, “We seek a complete remedy for our clients’ losses.” That means that we won’t settle for less than what you deserve, and we will fully prepare to bring your case to trial.
- Our law firm belongs to several industry organizations, including the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys. We have earned the respect of not just our clients, but of the greater legal community.
- Collectively, our attorneys have decades of trial experience. We use that knowledge to benefit our clients and pursue maximum compensation.
Zayed Law Offices
318 N 1st Street
Rockford, IL 61107
Find Zayed Law
Offices Near Me
At Zayed Law Offices, we are proud advocates on behalf of our clients’ interest. Our clients are usually going through one of the most difficult periods of their lives when they come to us for representation. Nothing pleases our team more than when our clients are satisfied with the outcome of their case.