Chicago Burn Injury Lawyer
many millions already recovered
Connect with one of our experienced trial attorneys
Our client was mislead into investing in a commodities fraud program run by members of his church.
Zayed Law Offices secured a worthy settlement for a young client after a motor vehicle accident caused by a Cook County Sheriff.
Lead counsel Adam J. Zayed confidentially resolved a Commercial Vehicle crash lawsuit for $1,500,000.
Zayed Law Offices secured $1.3 million for the estate of our client in case that involved a Wrongful Death.
In 1871, a fire ripped through Chicago, destroying thousands of buildings, killing around 300 people, and resulting in $200 million worth of damage. Legend has it the fire ignited after a cow kicked over a lantern, though other possible sources include human activities or even a meteor. In the more than 150 years since that accident took place, thousands of Chicagoans have suffered burn injuries due to many things, including car accidents, house fires, or fires occurring during recreational activities. If you have suffered a burn injury due to the carelessness of another, you can seek compensation for the expenses the injury caused. An experienced Chicago burn injury lawyer from Zayed Law Offices can help you navigate the personal injury claims process, going to court if necessary. Call us at (312) 726-1616 for a free case evaluation. our Chicago Burn Injury Lawyers may be able to assist you with your claim.
Zayed Law Offices Can Help You Pursue Justice
Led by Adam J. Zayed, Zayed Law Offices is a different law firm. Our Chicago personal injury lawyers are spurred on by the pursuit of justice and driven to achieve results so that our clients can get back to their lives. Unlike many firms that are content to settle, we are trial attorneys, and we are prepared to go to court on your behalf no matter how complex your case. We have the staff, resources, and knowledge to level the playing field and ensure that you aren’t left footing the bill for expenses that should never have become your burden. We are motivated by success, not money, so you can trust that our actions are always in your best interests. Over the years, we have won many cases and awards for our clients. In fact, we have recovered millions of dollars in damages in everything from truck accident claims to premises liability.
Table of Contents
Our Case Results at a Glance
Some of our recent case results include:
- $1.77 M in damages awarded to our client after a commercial vehicle accident
- $1.30 M in damages in a wrongful death case
- $950 K in damages in a medical malpractice suit
We specialize in personal injury of all kinds. Even if you don’t see a case result that matches your situation on our website, don’t hesitate to reach out. Every case is unique. Call for a free case evaluation and find out how we can help.
About Chicago Burn Injuries
Burn injuries refer to damage to the skin and underlying tissues due to contact with heat, flames, hot liquids or steam, or contact with chemicals or electricity. Individuals with second- or third-degree burns, burns to sensitive areas of the body, signs of infection after suffering a burn injury, or burns caused by chemicals or electricity require immediate medical treatment. If you have experienced a burn, visit a specialized burn center or burn unit to receive medical attention before contacting your attorney.
How Burn Injuries Occur In Chicago
Burn injuries are a leading cause of accidental death and injury, resulting in more than 100,000 people needing emergency medical treatment each year. Some of the common causes of burn injuries in Chicago include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Chicago’s streets are often congested, and distracted, impaired, or speeding drivers regularly drive on city roadways. Burn injuries can occur from several sources in a car accident, including contact between the traveler and flames, hot surfaces, or chemicals that make the vehicle run. Motorcycles are at particular risk for burn injuries. Their gas tanks can easily rupture during a collision, causing flammable and caustic gasoline to leak from the vehicle, making contact with the rider’s skin or with ignition sources.
- Premises liability. There are many historic homes and businesses located throughout Chicago. The owners of these buildings are each responsible for regularly inspecting the property in search of hazards that can cause injuries to guests, including the risk of fire caused by old or faulty electrical systems. Additionally, a lack of smoke detectors and fire exits can add to the potential for danger in old buildings.
- Contact with chemicals or electricity due to someone else’s negligence. Chemical burns are dangerous, as the damage can worsen and deepen even after cleaning the skin. Electrical burns often cause damage to internal organs as the electrical current enters one area of the body and exits another.
Common Complications Associated with Burn Injuries
The biggest risks facing individuals who have suffered burn injuries include:
- Bacteria entering the wound and causing an infection. Infection can travel through the bloodstream and affect the entire body, creating a condition known as sepsis.
- Loss of fluids, including low blood volume.
- A dangerously low body temperature due to significant skin damage.
- Difficulty breathing from inhaling hot smoke.
- The development of keloids, which are scars or ridged areas in the skin resulting from burned tissue.
- Bone or joint problems resulting from the tightening of the skin caused by burn scarring.
The Financial Burden of Burn Injuries
The costs of medically treating burn injuries and the amount of work missed due to the injury are high. Unfortunately, the psychological effects of burn injuries are also high, with the pain of the injury often leading to psychiatric issues such as acute stress disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and even suicidal ideation. Studies indicate that approximately one-third of burn patients will be dealing with clinically significant distress about the injury at the time of discharge from the burn unit or burn treatment center.
Seeking Compensation After Suffering a Chicago Burn Injury
If you have suffered a burn injury due to a car accident, a property defect, or any other cause created by someone else’s negligence, you can seek compensation for your injury through the personal injury claims process. While this process generally involves your attorney negotiating a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance provider, if a fair settlement offer is not received, you have the option of filing the claim in civil court as a personal injury lawsuit.
How We Prove Liability
To have a successful outcome to your Chicago burn injury claim, you must be able to prove through the preponderance of the evidence that someone else was liable (legally responsible) for the accident that caused your injury. We prove liability by showing the elements of negligence in your claim as follows:
- The at-fault party had a duty to take reasonable actions in a given circumstance to prevent injury to others.
- There was a breach in this duty of care that occurred when the at-fault party took reckless or careless actions contrary to protecting others from harm.
- The breach caused an accident in which you were burned. You subsequently incurred expenses and psychological distress as a result of your injury.
The Compensation Available in a Burn Injury Claim
In Chicago burn injury cases, claimants can seek to recover both economic damages—which refer to compensation for the expenses of your injury—as well as non-economic damages, which refer to compensation for the effects of the injury. Common expenses and noneconomic damages include:
- Medical expenses, including specialized burn center treatment and treatment for the common complications of this type of injury.
- Wage loss resulting from you being unable to work due to your injury or the need to attend an injury-related medical appointment.
- Loss of future earning capacity if your burn injuries affect your future ability to earn in the same capacity as you did before you became injured.
- Property damage occurring in the accident in which you were injured, such as damage to your vehicle in a car accident or your personal belongings if your injuries were the result of a structure fire.
- Physical pain and suffering due to the injury, the treatment of it, or any associated complications.
- Emotional distress resulting from the trauma of the accident or the dramatic changes to the sufferer’s lifestyle.
Do You Need an Attorney to Pursue Compensation in a Burn Injury Case?
Many people are reluctant to hire an attorney after suffering a Chicago burn injury because they are afraid they can’t afford one. It is with little reason, seeing how conversations about attorneys often include terms like “retainers” or “hourly billing.” While retainers and hourly billing are common in some legal practice areas, such as criminal defense and family law, personal injury attorneys generally use a billing method that ensures that anyone who needs our assistance can afford it. The contingent fee billing method allows you to withhold payment for your personal injury attorney’s services until there has been a successful outcome to your claim through either a negotiated settlement or a court award. If you recover damages for your claim, your attorney will take a percentage of the recovery as outlined in the contingency fee agreement you sign with them when they begin working on your case. In burn injury claims, the stakes are high. If you do not obtain enough compensation to cover your medical expenses, you could be on the hook for the additional amount. The contingent fee billing method allows your attorneys to begin working on your case as soon as possible, without waiting for upfront investment in the form of a retainer and can keep working on your case without worrying about whether you can stay on hourly bills.
Contact A Chicago Burn Injury Lawyer Today
Burn injuries are common sources of extreme pain and psychological distress that can last for the remainder of the sufferer’s life. These injuries often result in infections or scarring that can result in further expenses and impacts, including damaged self-esteem and employment difficulties from significant, obvious scarring. If you suffered a burn injury due to the careless or reckless actions of another driver, a landlord or renter of a commercial building, or any other source, you can seek compensation for your injury by calling an experienced Chicago burn injury lawyer from Zayed Law Offices. Let us explore your legal options with you. For a free case evaluation, contact us online or call (312) 726-1616.
Zayed Law Offices
161 N Clark St Ste 1600
Chicago, IL 60601
Find Zayed Law
Offices Near Me
At Zayed Law Offices, we are proud advocates on behalf of our clients’ interest. Our clients are usually going through one of the most difficult periods of their lives when they come to us for representation. Nothing pleases our team more than when our clients are satisfied with the outcome of their case.